chapter one

"shit, shit, shit!" larry yelled as he ran as fast as he could down the paved road.

"hurry the hell up!" sal screamed at him, almost too quiet to hear over the blaring sirens. the shorter boy was already running a good 10 feet in front of larry. adrenaline rushed through his body as he outran the red and blue lights reflecting off the wet road.

they bolted around a curb and jumped a fence into someone's yard, desperate to find a place to hide. the two boys jumped into the backyard pool, successfully hiding from the cops, who passed the house.

sal and larry popped back up out of the water, laughing and gasping for air.

"holy shit! i can't believe they didn't see us!" sal said through deep and heavy breaths. larry nodded in agreement, still trying to catch his breath.

the boys continued to laugh, starting to horse around in the water. larry would splash sal, and vice versa. sal unbuckled his mask to let the water out.

when sal was done shaking the water off his prosthetic, he looked up to see larry staring at him with a look of adoration on his face.

"what?" sal asked.

"i just, i guess i forget how pretty your eyes are." larry admitted, stumbling over his words.

sal's scarred face turned red, "i- uh, thanks."

they looked into each other's eyes, moving closer inch by inch.

"hey, ya know, i had fun tonight," larry whispered, looking down at sal.

"i did too," sal started to chuckle. "did you see the looks on those people's faces when we-"

"hey!" someone screamed from behind them. they looked behind them to see the owner of the house standing at the back door. the two boys scrambled to get out off the pool, barely being able to make it out of the yard. they laughed obnoxiously as they ran back to the apartments.

***

sal and larry were still giggling and joking about the whole situation as they gorged on the junk food from the vending machine outside of larry's apartment.

"god, that was priceless." larry shoved a dorito in his mouth.

"yeah," sal giggled.

"hey man, i gotta show you something,"  larry said out of nowhere, standing up.