When You Die

You were standing on the battlefield of kamar-taj, bravely defending the temple with your few comrades against the men of kaecilius. The battle was intense, even with your personal training from the ancient one, these men were very strong. The ancient one and wong were battling kaecilius near you, and although you had no doubt in her power, you were awfully worried. How could one know that the enemy would just show up on your doorstep, trying to steal something from the library?

Beads of sweat rolled down your face. You pulled up the sleeves of your robe and cast your magic once again, trying to overthrow your enemy. Your current enemy was the strongest one of the pack, and you had a hard time keeping up with his portal-jumps and energy whips.
For just a split second you looked around you, it was working. The people of kamar-taj were gaining the upper hand. You smiled slightly and took a deep breath, made your energy shiel and charged once again.
Just as you were about to strike the enemy, you heard an audible thud!
You had very little time to react but you immediately recognized that trusted voice. Panicking, you stopped in your tracks and looked into said direction. What you saw made your eyes widen and your shields drop.

The ancient one, your lover, your teacher, was down, lying on the ground, moving vaguely. Kaecilius was already halfway through a portal, calling his men with him. Your breathing quickened. But that didn't matter to you, you wanted to know if she was alive, why you weren't there with her, and why-

*Slash!*

You barely registered that a blade entered your body, just above your hipbone. The moment suddenly seemed to be in slow motion. You looked down at the fighters face, a look of satisfaction and bloodless painted his face, his eyes were already telling the story of a murder. His hands were clutching a dagger tightly, a dagger that you hadn't noticed before. Magicians weren't usually into that kind of combat.
Your mouth dropped open, and you stumbled backwards, then fell, hard. Your head suddenly cleared up as you laid there, clutching your bleeding wound.

You had won the fight. From the distance you could see the ancient one stand up and the last few enemy's were fought off by your friends.
You wanted to help, wanted to cheer, wanted to do anything... But a big desire to close your eyes came over you. Being weak, and still in shock from what had happened, you gave in, and blacked out.
Withhin a few minutes, everyone of kaecilius men had been defeated or sent back through portals. A storm of cheers broke out, signaling victory.

Students were waving their weapons into the air and shouting. Mordo was on the ancient ones side immediately, helping her up. She wasn't injured badly, kaecilius just managed to knock her down once. She stood upright and dusted herself off. But then she stopped, something wasn't right. Usually (y/n) would be there, right next to her, invading her private space with hugs or happily screaming in her ear. That didn't happen. Her eyes began scanning the area, slow at first, then more frantically.
"What is it, ancient one? A-are you seeking something?" Mordo asked cautiously, but before he got an answer his gaze followed the ancient one's. They were now both looking at a small but growing circle of people, standing around someone. Almost all of them had worried faces.
No.

No.

In the blink of an eye the ancient one marched through the crowd, everyone immediately giving her space to pass through. The moment her eyes landed on your curled up, bruised and bleeding body, her heart stopped. In an instant she was on her knees, lifting your robe to reveal the nasty stab wound.
"Mordo! Quick! Get the healers here, right now! Somebody, get Wong please. He'll know how to..." the ancient one was talking fast, but tried to not let her anxiety shine through. How could she have let this happen to you? She should have been there, she should have known better, should have seen it coming. Her hands started to shake a bit as she tried to make your bleeding stop by pressing fabric against it the wound. You were already laying in a puddle of your own blood when she found you, she knew, somewhere in her mind, that it was too late.
But for the first time, she wouldn't accept it. You were the sunshine in her life, the only thing that kept her dark thought far away. Your obnoxiously loud laugh, the way you'd always try to cheer her up with bad puns, the warm nights where you two would sit outside wrapped in one blanket and telling each other stories. She didn't want that to end.

"A-ancie..." you croaked out softly, snapping her out of her thoughts. Her shocked eyes met your half lidded ones. "We won...?" you asked sheepishly, extending your arms out to her weakly. In an instant she lifted your torso up and brought you into her arms. Your head rested on her shoulder.
"Yes darling... we... we won."
The ancient one was having a hard time to keep it together, she knew this was it for you. The blood had mostly stopped flowing, but your skin had already become very pale. A few tears gathered in your eyes, and you gave her a little chuckle.
"I love it when you call me that."
The ancient one started to break. She rarely called you darling, although she knew how much you loved it. She regretted not saying it more often, because now it was too late.
"I promise to you... I will find the man who hurt you, and I will avenge you (y/n). You did so, so great today. We could not have done it without you. Thank you (y/n), thank you."
By then you had also realized that this was your end. But it was okay, you thought, as long as she was by your side, it would be okay.
You reached out to touch her cheek, smearing a little blood on it in the process. Yet you caressed it and looked at her with a loving gaze."Don't let your life be lead by anger and bitterness, I wouldn't like that at all, you know." you said with a weak giggle. "That man was only one of kaecilius's puppets. Don't focus on him, b-bring k-aecilius to his s-senses..." you started to cough up blood.
Slowly, tears also made their way into the ancient ones eyes. He gripped the hand that was on her face softly.
"I..." but she didn't know what to say. She couldn't say anything. One last time, you looked into her eyes, tears rolling down your face.
"I love you." your hand went limp, but stayed on her face because she was still holding it. "I k-know you'll...d-do the right... thing."

And with that your eyes closed softly for the last time. The ancient one started to shake, her own tears dripping on your face. The students around you two were either crying or mourning themselves, others tried to give you space, but no one could look away from the heartbreaking scene.
She leaned down and kissed your tear stained cheek, her own heart breaking into a million pieces. But nonetheless she wore a small smile, remembering every good little memory she had with you. You'd be with her forever, even if you weren't there physically.
"I will, (y/n). I love you too, and thank you, for everything."