Chapter 12

It's Sunday, we've been staying at his family's mansion since Friday. And everything was going well, I guess.

His mother is nice, very affectionate towards her kids but she didn't seem to like me that much, especially when she discovered I'm Daniel Kennedy's daughter.

Turned out, she faked the breaking her leg news to make him come visit her. She's been missing him a lot and he hadn't visited Italy since New Year's eve.

Having to sleep in the same bed as Jack was another reason why I didn't like staying there. Besides, his family made me really uncomfortable, not because they were mean or anything, I just felt like a misfit.

"Jack took my mother out, they didn't let me go out with them" Veronica announced with a pout as she sat down in the living room.

I chuckled, "We'll be leaving tomorrow, he definitely needs to spend some time with her"

"I'm his family too" she rolled her eyes

"You visit him more than she does, that's why" I smiled, "I saw you once in LA, I didn't know you were his sister back then"

"then what? You had an argument because of me?" she laughed at that thought

"I wasn't even his girlfriend back then" I laughed as well,

"These days passed really fast, didn't they?"

"They did indeed"

"You know, my brother having a girlfriend is really something weird, no offense"

I laughed, "why's that?"

"I don't feel like someone like my brother can be in love, get married, have kids" she said, "All he thinks about is work"

"it's true, he's a real workaholic" I agreed,

"How do you feel about that? I mean, I don't see him much affectionate towards you"

"Well, it's a sort of an agreement between us, no explicit acts in public, or in front of anyone"

"That's cool and sad simultaneously" she smirked,

"So enough about my relationship, what about your love life?"

"I.." she paused looking at the ground, "Can you keep a secret?"

"Sure"

"Even from Jack? I'd be damned if he knew"

"Of course, Veronica, I'm not gonna mess up your relationship with your brother"

"I've fallen for someone, he's not the guy I'm supposed to love"

"Why not?"

"He's kinda off limits, for me" she sighed, "he's Jack's right hand, he runs our family business here in Italy"

"Why's he off limits then? If he's on Jack's good side?"

"Jack says I shouldn't be involved in our family's dangerous work, and being with someone like him would definitely be dangerous for me, I could be killed anytime"

"Wait a minute, killed?"

"Yes, just like Jack, Elijah, and now you" she sighed, "My brother says I should marry someone who doesn't have any ties with anything illegal, so I can be safe"

"And what about now, I mean, isn't your life already in danger because you're his sister?"

"It's different, there are a ton of people here hired to protect us, no one would ever try to come near us here" she said, "I would be in much more danger if I were with him, Jack wouldn't allow it anyway"