✄ 12 ✄

Clark Street, 1981

Clark Street, 1981.
(Gwen's point of view)

Not everything came easy to me. Not love, not money, and especially not life. It seemed that when I suddenly appear in everyone else's lives, they get better meanwhile I'm stuck with the same things. I wish I could just get out of here and live my own life without the worry of money or love or anything. I wish anarchy upon all the continents in the world. Let there be recklessness!

The sudden slap of a newspaper on the dining room table snapped me from my thoughts.

I looked up from my bowl of cereal I was having at two in the afternoon to see Chrissy moving her shiny blonde hair over her shoulder to read the article.

"What are your plans on your day off?" She asked, taking a seat across from the small round table we sat at.

"Eat, sleep, maybe drop dead?" I mumbled. "Don't know? Depends if my schedule will allow it."

I was having a slight hangover from drinking one too many beers last night. It wasn't as bad as the other times I would drink, but it almost set the bar for me.

"Call me at work and tell me how that goes for you." She huffed, making me raise my eyebrows at her.

"You have to work tonight?" I questioned.

"Yeah." She hummed, tearing her eyes off the newspaper to give me a distasteful look. "Janice called this morning and asked if I could come in, because guess who fuckin' quit," Chrissy sung.

"Who?" I swiveled my spoon around in my bowl of milk, not minding the bits of Captain Crunch floating on top.

"Fuckin' Shannon." Chrissy grimaced.
I rolled my eyes.

"That fuckin' bitch." I muttered under my breath before we started hearing the phone ring on the kitchen wall.

"Speak of the devil. That's probably Jane or Janice right now. Probably asking me to come in early." Chrissy huffed, getting up from her chair and abandoning her newspaper.

"Hello?" She said once she answered the phone.
"No, this is Chrissy. May I ask who this is?"

Chrissy turned to me with the phone connected to her ear. "Nikki, huh?" She emphasized his name, but immediately I shook my head.

" 'No'." I mouthed.

Chrissy obeyed but her eyes widened because she knew she wasn't much of a liar.
"She's not here right now. She's out painting."