Chapter 1

"I've done it," Ghost thought to himself over the sound of the helicopter's swinging blades, "I've held onto that letter for a while now and had no intention of actually joining. I just tossed it aside and proceeded with the next mission that as given to me; like a soldier."

He looked out to his side to see the land passing by beneath him. The rain was hitting the glass.

"I always thought the joke about England's shitty weather was just that: a joke. I hope it's not like this all the time," his thoughts echoed in his mind.

"We're about twenty-five klicks out from Hereford Base! We'll be arriving soon," the copilot said, interrupting his thoughts.

With nothing to do for the last bit of the ride, Ghost decided to recheck his gear to make sure he was in tip-top shape for when he arrived.

A couple of minutes later, the helicopter touched down and Ghost opened up the door of the helicopter door to be greeted by a dark-skinned man who appeared to be in civilian clothes; the man held out his hand with a smile on his face and introduced himself, "Hi! I'm Harishva Pandley, you can call me Harry, I'm the Deputy Director of Rainbow."

Ghost stared at "Harry's" hand and thought he was way too open, but seeing as he was his new superior, he decided to grip his hand and firmly shook it.

"I was surprised when you sent me a reply after so long of the letter already being sent," Harry stated, "What made you change your mind?"

"Long story," Ghost spoke objectively.

"Come inside, we can speak in my office while your bags are brought in."

"Yes, sir."

Ghost proceeded to follow Harry, taking in his new environment as they went around. He could smell the smoke from guns being fired, signaling that the shooting range wasn't too far. They walked indoors, leaving wet footprints on the concrete floor.

After a bit of walking, they arrived at an office with Harry's name written on the door. From the looks of it, this building was not the soldier's quarters.

Harry sat down in the chair behind the desk and decided to start off the conversation, knowing that the man in front of him is not the talkative type, "So, you came at a lucky time. You see, every little while, we're able to pull two new operators into the ranks of Rainbow, but you were such a surprise with your acceptance when we already had two operators joining us. But luckily, I was able to convince the heads up top to allow for a third this time."

Ghost was standing there, wondering if there was a point to any of this besides just being a "what I pulled to get you in" sort of thing.

"Anyways, the point of what I'm saying is that Rainbow is always growing," Harry explained, "And getting to know the people around you and mesh well with them is something we both strive for and is a daily function around here."

Ghost just stood there, with his mask still on his face, staring at Harry, to which Harry just brushed his hand over his face with an exhale.

"Listen," Harry spoke, "I'm not going to force you to 'get along' with the other operators, but I'm just saying that you're here for the long haul now, so you may as well at least try to put up an effort. I've ordered Jordan to take you to your quarters."

Ghost nodded his head, signifying he had taken in all of what his new boss had just told him, then saluted as Jordan walked into the room and looked over at the man he was briefed on.

"Hello, you must be Ghost," Jordan said, "If you'll follow me, I'll take you to your room, show you the mess hall, the bathrooms, and any other necessities."

Ghost gave another slight nod to the man known as Jordan as he then proceeded to follow him out of the room.

"Good luck, Jordan," Harry spoke to himself as he leaned back in his seat.

Jordan was trying to make small talk in order to open up as someone Ghost could talk to. "So, my name is Jordan Trace, but the others call me 'Thermite,'" Jordan explained, "What's your name? Or what do you like to go by?"

"Ghost."

"Well, at least he can talk," Jordan thought to himself. "Well, we're coming up on your room now," he said while pointing over to the door the two were walking up on.

The two entered the room to see your basic setup for personal quarters with his bag on his bunk. Ghost walked into the room and took a look around, getting his bearings.

"You know, from what I hear, one of the other two new ops is pretty quiet too," Jordan stated, "Maybe that's something you two can relate to each other on," Jordan finished and left Ghost to get acquainted.

Out of the minimal things Ghost brought along with him, he neatly unpacked them and found a place for everything to be. On top of that, he got acquainted with the Rainbow 6 kit that was given to him and in his room before he had even arrived which included some patches, a basic multi-tool, a paracord, and a few other basic materials.

Ghost felt a pair of eyes watching him and turned to see no one there, but the door was slightly ajar, which left him a bit confused because he was sure Jordan had shut the door on his way out. He figured it was just another Rainbow 6 operator checking out the newbie, but he didn't like the idea of being spied on to do so.

With everything set up, he decided to get some R & R by taking a quick nap after setting an alarm for two hours. He didn't know what he was exactly in for, but he knew he'd help in any way he could. But before any of that, he was going to need to know his new teammates if he was to work at maximum functionality.

1040 Words

December 25, 2019 - 8:00 PM