Chapter Fourteen

"Shhh, they're still sleepin'," Paul whispered, soundlessly closing the bedroom door before tiptoeing downstairs in his underwear.

"What're we gonna do, Paulie? We gonna make 'em breakfast and take it to 'em in bed?" Kitty hopped down the stairs, making her nightgown billow out around her.

"Shhh, you wake them up, and I'll tan yer hide," he threatened, pushing his sleeves up his skinny arms. The fact that he couldn't stop grinning at his sister thoroughly ruined his scolding. "You could make a dead man smile, Kitty," he grumbled happily, taking her hand in his as they padded into the kitchen.

"What're we gonna make Paulie? I love hotcakes, and my belly likes bacon. Are we gonna make bacon?" she chirped with a grin.

"Stop yer chatterin'; you're gonna wake 'em up if you keep talking as loud as you are."

Paul hadn't slept well last night. He hadn't been able to stop his worrying over whether or not Mr. Sawyer would be keeping him and Kitty around. Now that he had a wife who could give him babies, he didn't think they'd want them anymore.

He tried to put on a brave face so Mr. Sawyer wouldn't catch on, but deep inside his young heart, he believed it was only a matter of time before their new pa sent him and Kitty away.

All it would take now was a baby that was theirs in every way. He figured the surest way to prevent Sawyer from getting rid of them was to work hard and not cause any problems. They needed to show that he could earn his keep if necessary, prove he and Kitty wouldn't be in the way when a baby came, and that they'd even be able to help take care of it.

Miserable desperation clutched his heart; he loved both Mr. Weston and Lily as surely as if he'd been born to them. And one way he hoped to show it was by making them something good to eat. Chewing on his lip, his hands trembled as he began the task of making breakfast.

Pushing a chair closer to the wood cookstove, Kitty stood and watched as Paulie expertly stoked the flame, then turned to gather supplies for making the batter for hotcakes.

"I sure am glad Papa married Miss Lily, do ya think she'll let me call her Mama?" she asked quietly, casting worried eyes at him. "She might not want me to since my last Mama died."

Waiting until he was sure the tears that blinded him wouldn't fall down his face, Paul stirred all the lumps from the batter then looked at Kitty with a smile, "I think so, want me to ask her for you?"

Her blond curls bounced as she nodded and smiled, watching as Paul continued to make breakfast.

"Mornin, Papa," Kitty exclaimed as she pushed the door open.

Paul carried in a tray with a mound of slightly burnt hotcakes and charred bacon. He'd milked Patsy himself and watched Kitty with a concerned eye when she brought a glass brimming with the creamy white liquid. Hopefully, she wouldn't spill it and waste his efforts at trying to make a good breakfast.

Sawyer raised his head from his pillow, pushing his thick black hair out of his eyes, and smiled at Paul and Kitty. He nudged Lillian awake, where she nestled against his bare chest, kissing her exposed shoulder above the covers.

Drowsily, she opened her eyes, smiling when Sawyer placed kisses along her forehead and cheeks, murmuring, "Wake up sleepy head, it's time for breakfast."

Seeing the children in the room, she was suddenly glad she'd put her nightgown on.

Kitty poked her between her shoulder blades, "Lily... "

Lillian returned Sawyer's grin and kissed him quickly before turning over to look at Kitty, "What is it, sweetie?"

Kitty scrunched up her face, searching for the right words, and then in a panic, she looked to Paul standing by the dresser and laying out the items from the tray. "Paulie," She ran and grabbed his hand, "you do it, my belly's squirmin' so bad my lips can't think."

Lillian and Sawyer looked expectantly from Kitty to Paul.

Paul cleared his throat; his stomach was swarming with butterflies. He hesitated then said, "Kitty was wonderin' if you would-"

Kitty interrupted him, "Will you be my new mama, Lily—even though my last one died?" Her blue eyes brimmed with tears as she stared at Lillian. Her lips wobbled, and she clutched her hands under her chin to steady it.

"Come here, sweetie," Lillian murmured. She motioned her over and held her arms out to Kitty.

Kitty slowly walked over, fear written plainly in her eyes.

Lillian patted the bed and whispered, "Come up here; I want to tell you something."

Obediently, Kitty climbed on the bed and knelt next to Lillian's hip.

Taking her delicate face into her hands, Lillian bent close, "Do you know how happy you've just made me?"

Kitty shook her head but stayed silent. Not knowing if that was a 'yes' or 'no' to her question, she waited.

Lillian swallowed the lump of emotion in her throat and kissed Kitty's cheek, "I'd love to be your Mama, sweet girl."

The smile that beamed from Paul and Kitty at her words nearly made Lillian break down in tears. She hugged Kitty tightly to her chest, silently thanking Maggie for having such beautiful, kind children that she could now raise and love on.

Maybe one day she would be able to tell them the truth, that she and their mother had been as close as sisters when they were little, and that they genuinely were family in every way.

Gazing with adoration at Lillian, Sawyer's heart swelled near to bursting. Lillian was so sweet and caring and utterly wonderful, even after the less than ideal life she had lived before they found her.

He'd seen the insecurity in her eyes when she'd thought he hadn't been watching. After what she'd revealed last night about her previous marriage, he understood just how deeply her imbecilic husband had wounded her.

If he ever met Richard on the other side of the pearly gates, he would promptly introduce the idiot to his fist. Sawyer thumbed away a tear from his eye and asked, "Do I get a hug and kiss, honey bear? I'm feeling lonely over here."

Kitty giggled and climbed over Lily, wrapping her arms snuggly around Sawyer's neck as she kissed his cheek loudly and sighed, "I got a new Mama, Papa."

Sawyer smiled at Lillian as he hugged Kitty. "You sure did, sweetie."

"Would you mind if I called you Mama too?" Paul asked shyly, shuffling his feet as he stood by the bed. "I knew our Mama longer than Kitty, and I still miss her," he rushed to explain, "but since I've got a new Papa now, and you married him-" he shrugged.

His heart hammered in anxiety. He hoped they couldn't tell he was using Kitty as a cover of his own need to claim them.

Lillian wiped the tears from her cheeks, smiling happily at Paul, "Of course you can." She pulled him into her arms. "I'm so happy you asked." Placing a kiss to his forehead, she brushed a lock of hair out of his eyes. "This has been one of the best moments of my life because of you two."