Chapter Twenty-Six

Tortured screams pierced the air as the wagon bearing Freddie and Sawyer drove up to the darkened house.

"It's coming from the barn," Freddie whispered, bringing the wagon to a stop as Sawyer dropped down, rifle in hand.

During the drive, Sawyer had told Freddie what he needed to know about Walker and his history with Lillian, confident that with a vengeful Freddie at his side, Walker wouldn't escape.

"You go around back," Sawyer ordered, motioning Freddie forward, "but don't shoot unless you have a clear shot. I don't want Lily hit by accident."

Freddie nodded and grabbed his rifle, running around back as quietly as he could.

Sawyer raced to the barn as Lillian screamed from inside, "NO."

Every part of him wanted to rush in and blow Walker to smithereens, but he didn't want to put Lillian in more danger or possibly get her killed in his haste to rescue her.

Making his way into the barn, Sawyer swore under his breath when another of her screams pierced the darkness. Quickly, he made his way toward the sounds of a struggle.

As he drew near, Sawyer heard a man's gruff voice threaten, "Scream as loud as ya want...no one's comin' to yer rescue."

Without hesitation, Sawyer stepped into the open stall just as Walker pushed his trousers down his hips. Rage, unlike any Sawyer had known before, exploded through his veins. With a feral roar, he plucked Walker off Lillian and threw him out of the stall.

Walker's scream of surprise abruptly ended when he crashed into the wall and fell to the ground with a muffled groan.

Barely sparing a glance at Freddie rushing into the stall to see to Lillian, Sawyer advanced on Walker and kicked his arms out from under him as he struggled to push himself to his hands and knees. "You should've stayed dead."

There would be no mercy given. He would not offer Walker the chance to defend himself against the impending violent attack.

"Freddie?" Lillian whimpered, fighting for consciousness when Freddie's face suddenly appeared before her.

"You're gonna be alright, Lillian," Freddie soothed, pulling the pieces of her skirt together to cover her bloomers before untying the rope binding Lillian to the stall.

Relief poured through her as tears of gratitude and residual pain cascaded down her cheeks. "Paul and Kitty-"

"Shhh, they're safe and sound," he assured, wincing when he saw all the damage Walker had done to her.

Behind them, Sawyer gripped his rifle tight in his fist and clubbed the butt of his gun against Walker's face as he snarled, "You dirty, thieving, piece of scum."

"Sawyer's here," Freddie murmured with a smile, "he's just a little busy right now. He's attending to," Walker's shriek of torture pierced the air, "some business."

Lillian's right eye was nearly swollen shut, but she forced it open as wide as possible. "Sawyer's here?" She searched through the stall's entrance, desperate to feast her eyes on him, but it was too dark. They'd saved her. Everything was going to be alright.

Freddie untied the rope and bandana, throwing them behind him as he knelt at Lillian's side and helped lower her arms. A strangled cry escaped her lips with the movement, seconds before she fell unconscious.

"Lillian?" Freddie gasped. He placed a hand to her throat, trying to find a pulse and blew out a relieved breath when the steady thrum of life beat against his fingers.

As the seconds ticked by and she didn't wake up, he gave her a gentle shake, but she didn't respond. Glancing over his shoulder at Sawyer delivering his vengeance upon Walker, Freddie withdrew his knife. He sliced Lillian's wrists free of the material knotted securely around her skin, debating what to do next.