13

They buried Frisky in a shallow grave and covered it with rocks to deter any passing scavengers as long as possible. The exertion of moving the heavy corpse and digging in the frozen ground proved too much for Ulric in his weakened condition, a fact not even the man himself could ignore.

Sweat drenched his clothing, chills wracked his body, and his cheeks were flushed an unhealthy shade of red by the time they finished.

After placing the last stone, Esmund helped Ulric to his feet and began the arduous trek to the other horses twenty yards away. The ever-increasing snow impeded their slow progress and caused Ulric to stumble more than once, regardless of Esmund's support, as they walked toward the horses. Daylight was fading, and with it, any successful chance to make it home before nightfall.

When Ulric fell for the fourth time in as many minutes, Esmund scanned the mountainside for an area suitable to seek refuge in for the night. The women must have had the same idea because not five minutes later, Piper pointed to the darkened opening of a cave. "Look! Will that do, or should we continue searching?"

Esmund adjusted Ulric's arm across his shoulder and hugged him more tightly to his side. "It'll have to do; we can't go any further—not with him in this condition."

"Couldn't you give him a berry," Elsie asked. They were the first words she'd uttered in the past forty-five minutes. "Or do they not work with fevers?"

He could've slapped himself in the head. He would have, too, if he weren't responsible for keeping Ulric upright and mobile. Why hadn't he thought of that?

"I can think of several reasons why you didn't think of it," Elsie teased, "but it would be rude of me to speak them."

Esmund turned to Elsie and Piper, "Did I say that out loud?"

Piper raised an eyebrow, giving him a look that clearly said she thought he was losing his mind, but Elsie nodded.

He shook his head, "It's a wonder you two haven't begun questioning my sanity."

Elsie met his gaze and quirked a brow, "Who says we don't already?" She shrugged and smiled at him, "Even if we did believe you were bonkers, at least you'd be in good company."

Piper choked and nudged Elsie with her elbow, ignoring Esmund as she took Elsie by the arm and led her toward the cave. "You must stop. One of these days, you'll say too much, and then we'll really be in trouble."

"Why is everything spinning?" Ulric moaned. "And why am I so blasted hot?"

Esmund tightened his hold and propelled him with more effort toward the cave. "That would be the fever."

Ulric looked at Esmund with glassy, bloodshot eyes, "How many times must I tell you I don't have a fever?"

"Perhaps once more ought to do the trick."

"You're delightful, little brother," Ulric groaned, "always thought you were, even when I told you I didn't."

They both had to duck to enter, but they could stand to their full height once inside. The opening was wide enough that all four could have passed easily side by side and still had room to spare before touching the outer walls.

The overall shape inside the cavern looked like a giant had tried to wedge a bowl into the side of the mountain only to remove it when it wouldn't fit completely.

Dried leaves, twigs, and a few stones were scattered across the ground, but there was no evidence to suggest it was the burrow of any wildlife. The air was thick with the scent of wet stone and decay, and upon further inspection, the women found the right wall to be slick with trickling water from above and a slimy yellowish-green substance.