22

Erasmus walked them onto the porch but stopped Gunnar and Nora as they passed him. "Regarding the matter you two spoke to me about earlier...now would be a good time to proceed."

Nora and Gunnar shared an excited look and followed Erasmus back inside.

They left the door open, providing those outside with an unobstructed view as Erasmus went to his cabinet and pulled out a drawer. After rummaging around its depths, he turned to them, holding a long piece of white material with the ancient symbol for Berserker stitched in blood-red thread on either end.

Esmund looked at his father, unsure of what was taking place, but understanding dawned on him at Vernon's smile and the tears shining in his eyes. The ancient marriage ritual for Berserkers was rarely performed any longer, often because only a select few shamans still alive knew the correct way to execute the ceremony.

Ulric stood on Esmund's right and nudged him in the ribs, "Do you think they spoke to him before or after we learned there's a good chance we'll die fighting the witch?"

"They spoke with him before we set out to find Piper," Vernon murmured. He glanced at his Ulric and Esmund, then returned his attention to Gunnar and Nora. "All things considered, if we're to have a better chance at succeeding, we need the power they'll gain once the claiming ceremony is complete ."

"Shouldn't we go in there with them?" Esmund whispered as he moved to enter.

Vernon shook his head and rested a hand on Esmund's arm, "The separation is symbolic of leaving their lives as unwed adults and entering the new roles of husband and wife. Just watch. If you blink, you'll miss the best part."

Erasmus positioned the couple facing one another and told them to hold each other's right hand. He then opened the cloth over their arms, said a series of foreign words as he wrapped the fabric around their hands up to their elbows, and took the dagger he'd used earlier and placed it atop the cloth. "Since you're both Berserkers, this will be slightly different from the more traditional ceremony but just as binding." He cleared his throat and asked Gunnar, "Take ye this woman to love and protect till the end of time?"

Gunnar gave a solemn nod, "Yes."

Erasmus turned to Nora, "Take ye this man to love and protect till the end of time?"

She nodded and smiled, "Yes."

Erasmus took the dagger in hand and ran the blade over the cloth, drawing forth blood from one elbow to the other and yet leaving the material undamaged. As Erasmus murmured several more words, the blood pooled together over the joined hands and formed into the Berserker symbol. When the symbol was complete, it sparked and ignited before disappearing altogether.

Was that it? That couldn't be it. But, before Esmund could think of any other questions or dwell upon the disappointment settling in his gut, the entire cloth began glowing with great intensity and illuminated Gunnar and Nora's faces. The fabric disappeared in a flash of light and a gust of wind, leaving only the swirling streams of light around their joined hands.

The light settled upon them, sinking into their skin until it glowed from within. Erasmus grinned and motioned the pair together, saying, "Now, kiss and seal the bond."

What happened next was much more along the lines Esmund had been expecting. When their lips touched, the magical, incandescent light flared and encompassed their entire bodies until they glowed as though lit with an inner flame. It was blindingly bright and painful to look at, but it only lasted three seconds before pulling in upon itself and vanishing as though it had never existed.

Esmund's heart hammered in his chest as Nora and Gunnar thanked Erasmus before walking toward the door with joyous smiles. He couldn't speak, think, or feel anything other than the burning desire to experience the ceremony with Elsie. He needed to be with her more than he needed air to breathe. The admission was paralyzing and liberating all at once.