28

Hours later, they were on the train returning to Buffalo Gulch. Esmund had grown weary of trains, but who could blame him after the last experience? With any luck, they'd have an uneventful trip where he could rest until they arrived home.

Late afternoon sunlight peeked between the curtains drawn closed over the window, reminding him the day wasn't over. How could such a short amount of time have passed when it seemed months, if not years, had gone by? He sighed and rubbed his eyes, "I know you think we should confront The Matron at Briarwood—"

Ulric nodded, "Because we should. We need to attack before she's able to—"

"No," Gunnar shook his head, "we need to think this through, not lash out because of what happened today."

Ulric scoffed and stood, "Is that really what you think this is about?" he scowled, "I'm not saying we attack because we're upset over a friend dying. We must end this before anyone else gets hurt in this stupid game."

Vernon nodded and leaned forward, "Ulric's right."

Ulric grinned, "See?"

Vernon sighed, "But we need a plan, and we have to remember what Erasmus told us." He gave Elsie a pointed look before glancing back at his sons, "I'm hungry. Anyone care to join me?"

Gunnar, Nora, and Ulric stood and followed Father, leaving Esmund and Elsie alone.

Tears threatened to spill from her eyes as she clutched his hand, "Have I said or done something-"

"No," Esmund said with an adamant shake of his head. He smiled and kissed her cheek, "He just wants to be cautious in case The Matron has a...spy...nearby."

"I can't believe Piper's gone," Elsie sniffled, "granted she wasn't the best of friends. Some days, she was downright moody and argumentative. I don't even think she liked me, if I'm honest." She wiped the moisture from her puffy eyes and gave Esmund a trembling smile, "Yet here I am weeping over her because she was the first person to show me the littlest bit of kindness in such a very long time."

Esmund wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulled her against his chest, and kissed her forehead, "She was fortunate to have you as a friend, Elsie."

She wiped her eyes and swallowed, "You know, the worst part is, I believe she only sacrificed herself because she was already severely wounded."

"How did it happen?" He asked gently, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. "It was quite an audacious move for Montclair to take you two in plain sight of the Marshals."

Elsie shook her head, "He didn't, though." She licked her lips, "Please don't be cross because I reminded her that you and your brother had mentioned it wasn't safe to wander about town, but she was in such a mood there was nothing I could say to change her mind."

Esmund's stomach dropped, "You mean you left the office?"

She nodded, "Despite the way she'd been acting toward me, I couldn't let her go out there alone, and truly, I believed I'd be able to convince her to return. But, then we walked around the corner..." she frowned and shook her head, "and then Piper was falling, and there was so much blood; I'm still not quite sure how she became wounded." She lifted her right shoulder in a shrug and stared at her lap, "I tried to call out for help, but one of the men hit me, and the next thing I knew, I was trying to swing that blasted branch at Montclair."

Esmund pulled her back against his chest and pressed a kiss to her head, "I don't know what I would have done had I lost you."

Elsie convulsively swallowed before she covered her face and stifled a tearful sob in his shirt, allowing Esmund to hold her until she'd spent her emotions. A half-hour later, with her head resting against his shoulder and her hand clutching his, she finally drifted off to sleep.