Chapter 9

Steven was swimming in a pool of darkness

Steven was swimming in a pool of darkness. No sound could be heard, no light could be seen. His movements felt restricted as if he were underwater, and yet he had no need for air. The dark water was calming, not too hot and not too cold, but the haunting silence sent shivers up the sorcerers spine.

Floating around in the darkness, his limbs began to feel heavy, his eyes slowly closing as he felt himself drifting away, into the depths of the darkness.

It was somewhat comforting.

——————

"Deaton!"

A shout made Tony jump up from his slumber. He cursed as he stood up looking wildly around the animal clinic. He had fallen asleep after the first hour that Dr Strange has entered the boy's mind, bored of all the theatrics, and now everyone was in high alert as Lydia pointed terrified at Dr Strange and Stiles.

"What's happening?!" The strawberry blonde cried as the stared with wide eyes at the sorcerer. Dr Strange had black blood pooling out from his eyes nose and ears, his skin was paling to a ghostly white as droplets of sweat ran down his forehead.

Deaton took one look at the sorcerer and ran around the room, searching the shelves and the tables for an old tattered book. Finding the leather journal, he quickly flicked through a few pages stopping at one, he placed it on the table in front of him.

"Something's gone wrong. We're losing him." Deaton explained, as he studied the condition of the sorcerer. "I am unfamiliar with his area of the arts, however I believe I can help with a few of my own methods." The veterinarian pulled out herbs and jars, scattering them around Stiles' head.

"Wait." Natasha piped up, biting the corner of her lip in thought. "I thought Strange said not to interfere, surely we should listen to him?" The agent raised her eyebrow as Clint nodded in agreement.

"I agree with her." Tony pointed to Natasha to her surprise and to the surprise of everyone else in the room. "We don't know what we're doing here, what if we make it worse?" The billionaire quizzed to the worried faces in the room.

"I am aware of our lack of knowledge Mr Stark." Deaton began, rolling up his sleeves. "But in this case I must insist, or neither of them will come out alive." The veterinarian looked around the room, facing no opposition, he sighed and unscrewed the lids of the pots.

"Dr Deaton?" Lydia asked, looking up with a question on her face and furrowed brows.

"Yes Ms Martin."