The Wizarding World

It was a bright cold day in April and Garron Darce had frankly had enough. He was eight years old now and he demanded to be let on the trip to London with the rest of the children over ten. He was smarter and more responsible than them anyways, and the Dame knew it. It also helped his case that he had developed a particular talent for getting his way. The children had learned it the hard way really. They would try to take his things and mysteriously something beloved of theirs would go missing. They would follow him around and call him freak and the result a few days later, an animal would wind up missing some very crucial body parts. Oh yes, they had learned very quickly to not mess with him. Of course, they had no proof it was him anyways. Somehow, the raven haired child always had an alibi, and how could any child so young do something so incredibly heinous.

It helped, of course, that he looked as if he couldn't hurt a fly. His eyes had darkened from the bright green they had been when the Dame found him to the darkest pair of emerald eyes she had ever seen. He was still rather short and lithe for a child his age though, which lent to the odd couple walking his way when Visiting Day was upon them and inquiring about him. He did not appreciate that at all though. He was perfectly content ruling the run down orphanage from the comfort of his very own tiny room. And he wouldn't dare leave Keerin, the garden snake was really the only company he could tolerate these days. It was almost uncanny how easily the boy found the snake's friendship. It was simple. He enjoyed the simpler things in life sometimes. Besides, the snake miraculously knew it's way to a library. Garron doesn't know how, nor does he think he wants too.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand. This was his second attempt at asking the Dane and they all knew there wouldn't be a third. He watched the old woman as she huffed and scrunched he face up in a very unappealing way. He knew what answer was coming as soon as she looked back and forth between the bus full of screaming children and the quiet boy (though she calls him Devil in her head, and sometimes out loud).

"Fine." Her voice was thick with unaired malice and the contempt in her eyes told him it was there anyways. That was okay though, they didn't have to like each other. She just needed to know that he wasn't to be pushed around like the societal dregs that surrounded him. He didn't care that he was eight, he knew that he was meant for much more than this rotting place. And deep down, she knew too. She motioned him onto the already overcrowded school bus and he smirked. He loved getting his way.

     XxxX

As soon as they stepped foot into the city he knew he detested London.

It was overcrowded, polluted, and noisier than Christmas at the House. He hated every second of it, and they had only been there for five minutes. However, no matter how distasteful he found the place he refused to let it show on his face. A day here was better than a day at the House at any rate, besides, if he let on that he didn't enjoy it she would say no next time. And that couldn't happen. If he was going to force himself to at least tolerate the day then he would be doing it his way. That meant he absolutely would not allow one of the grotesque gremlins he was shipped here with be his "buddy" for the remainder of his off. No, no, and no. He was going to make the most of this day and he couldn't do that with a creature that could barely comprehend what he was saying let alone respond to him in conversation. God, sometimes he really did wish Keerin were a person. The whole socializing business would be so much easier to deal with that way.

Gathering the group of Neanderthals took the Dame another twenty minutes. During this time, Garron spent his timely wisely. He did what he did best, he observed. And while he observed, he noticed something rather peculiar. In the twenty minutes that he had been spending outside in the cold, over forty people disappeared through a door that resided in a darkened alleyway just to his right. The building looked like it could barely fit ten people, let alone the masses that were entering it in waves. It was bizarre. Bizarre enough that Garron felt the inexplicable need to go inside it, Dame be damned. Taking one last look to the frantic woman organizing children, he slipped away unnoticed. Being small did have some of its advantages. As he walked closer and closer to the door he began to take in some of its finer details that he couldn't see from his spot earlier. There was a small blackened sign above that read "The Leaky Cauldron", a small lantern next to it lit up the sign like a beacon to oncoming travelers and passer by's. He took a deep breath and put his hand to the handle and walked in.

The place -a tavern apparently- was humongous. He did a few double takes, this building couldn't possibly be that large. Not if the three books on physics he read were any credible material. Any the patrons were so very odd. They wore flamboyant costumes in all sorts of vivid colors and patterns, they talked louder than the mob he had come from, and the way the spoke was nothing the boy had ever heard of before. They spoke of "quidditch" and of "galleons" and the "ministry", Garron was also pretty sure someone had mentioned something about a dragon. For God's sake it was all very overwhelming. But he thought he was keeping himself very well put together for a young man of eight. Right up until a man with robes that had dancing lions opened a door on the far wall. When the man opened it, Garron could see through to the other side.

It was an entire new world, different than anything he had ever read about before. Hundreds more of these people littered an alleyway lined with shops and trinkets that were all so very new to him. He knew in that instant that he couldn't let that world disappear. He made his way to the other side of the tavern, people towering over him as they laughed and drank. He slipped into the other world just before the door could shut completely. For the first time in his life, he was speechless.

The boy stood behind the door looking at the world before him, gaping at what he was seeing. The child couldn't comprehend just where he was or how a simple door changed the face of London that much, but he felt it in his soul that this was where he was meant to be. No science or book could explain what he was witnessing, he was out of his element. And by God, this was the best thing to ever happen to him. He saw a mother levitate a toy in front of her child's face with no effort, windows of a shop washing themselves. Magic. He could hardly believe it. Anyone else would have thought themselves just in a fever dream or hallucinating, but Garron, Garron knee. He knew that the things he could do were no mere accident. Hell, he set fire to a girls doll just by wishing it so that she would at least leave him alone. He could do things that no other child at the orphanage could do. But here he stood surrounded by the unexplainable, and he cherished any minute of it.

He could not let himself be taken away from this place not at all. In fact, he needed a plan to make sure he never had to return to that damned house ever again. Not if he had any say in the matter. And he did so love when things when this way.

To be continued. God i haven't written in so long. Enjoy the updates lovelies. More will be coming
-Mischief Managed.