New Name, New Me

Becoming Lord Black was much more difficult than Garron had originally anticipated. He was subjected to daily lessons revolving around high pureblood society; the do's and don'ts of a young pureblood Lord. Garron was grateful for his eidetic memory, if not for all of his plotting, but for the ability to remember whom was whom at any given moment in a room full of snobbish Lords. His appearance had also been molded to fit his new role in life. His hair had been tamed and groomed into a proper length. The Malfoys had ensured all of his clothes and reading materials were of the finest quality. Overall, within the span of four months, Garron Black nee Darce had become the most perfectly kept Lord in all of the UK.

His mannerisms weren't the only thing to be improved upon, however. The minute he and Lucius had come back inside from their little "chat", Draco and Narcissa had pounced on him like lions to a gazelle. He was hopeless to their coddling and fawning. Garron could admit though, it did feel rather nice. He wasn't used to all of the positive attention. Back in the orphanage, children and adults alike had backed away from him in an unconscious terror; they just couldn't help it, he supposed. After a while, he had grown used to being cold towards others, they were cold towards him. Garron couldn't remember the last time he had been doted over. Probably before the bunny incident, he reminded himself. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable for a period of time. When it grew to be too suffocating, Garron secluded himself into the Malfoy library.

It was a quiet and warm place, much different than the orphanage had ever been. There were books filling the shelves from floor to ceiling. Every centimeter of the room was covered in rich dark wood and perfectly crisp leather. The room wasn't green, it was actually a deep navy blue. Someone a long time ago had charmed the ceiling to always resemble that night's sky, constellations and all. The fireplace was robust and had an eternal flame residing inside it, the crackle soothed Garron into a trance. He would sneak inside, pluck an ornate tome off of one of the shelves, curl up on the largest leather chair, and read until he fell asleep. Narcissa had found him there once and had taken a picture of the boy without him knowing. He found it the next day hung up next to Draco's baby pictures.

Even though he'd been in this world for quite a while, Garron was still amazed at the simplistic luxury of magic. Every so often, in his little corner of the library he'd claimed as his, Garron's mind would drift back to what had happened in the bank. What the goddess had told him, what he promised her. He swore to himself never to forget, and to always fight for the interest of magic. He was being molded into the best champion he could be.

Time went on like that for quite a while, the Malfoys and the young Lord Black actually becoming a family. Lucius took Garron under his wing more so than even Draco. Lucius gifted Garron his intrinsic knowledge of the Dark Arts. The boy studied everything he could once he had grasped the subject. Once he had met Severus Snape, the boy wouldn't rest until Snape had relented to tutoring him as well. It helped that Garron simply refused to be incompetent. Draco and Garron grew incredibly close. They became brothers over the years, though Draco still fawned over him, and Garron was predisposed to be an intelligent arsehole. They were thick as thieves and Garron was surprised to actually find himself caring for the other boy, more than just tolerate him. That surprise came with another, that he truly had a family now. It was odd for him, he'd never really thought he'd get the chance. Well would you look at me now you old bitch, I've made it.

He became friends with the other young purebloods of the court.Blaise Zambini and Theodore Nott were very useful to him, and he was useful to them. Oh how he enjoyed the mind games of the elite. They were quiet, observant, and wickedly smart. The three boys got along swimmingly, the beginnings of a real friendship. Most importantly of all, they understood not to push Garron's boundaries and his temper. They had seen what he had done to Pansy Parkinson after she had burst in on him when he was in the library. She had a small scar on her upper lip now, and the library door had three more locking spells in place.

By the time they were all eleven, so much had changed in Garron's life.

Long gone was the scraggly and dirty sociopath, in its place stood a refined, well kept sociopath with impeccable manners and a fair bit of money. He was very proud of his accomplishments, thank you very much. He had even gone from a friendless orphan to having a very capable family and respectable friends. He had gotten everything he had wanted from a young age. Well, almost everything, world domination can wait until puberty was no longer an issue. He refused to give orders and have his voice crack. Do you think there's a way to go through it all quicker? If I could look 17 in two years that would speed things up perfectly. He loved magic, anything was possible.

It was two weeks after his eleventh birthday that they received them. Their Hogwarts letters had come via owl at 5:30 in the early morning of August 13th. Garron had waken up, not from his own excitement, but from his brother screeching from his room two doors down. Garron groaned. Looks like he will be taking a trip to Diagon Alley today. Lovely.