Chapter 18

The square was bustling, full of life and chatter. Merchants yelling about their newest sale. Gossiping school-children walking in a group. Customers carefully carrying their cargo. The four freedom-fighters moved through the crowded streets, enjoying the kingdom around them. Sonic and Amy laughed jovially together as Knuckles and Mighty scouted the stands for any food, clearly sickened of tropical cuisine.

   "You'd think they hadn't eaten in years!" Amy laughed.

   "Please, with Knuckles as the chef? Whatever they were eating, Rosy, that wasn't food!" The two chuckled. Amy walking closer and closer to Sonic, who faked not noticing.

   Without warning, a voice screamed through the noise.

   "A morsel for your highness, King Sonic!"

   A pastry flew through the open air, crashing into the king's crown. Filling drenched the once proud, bright red cape. The crowd gasped and stepped away from their ruler, now clearly agitated.

   Sonic tried to keep a cheerful expression through the embarrassment, however, a frightenly familiar feeling overtook him. Anger. This was Tails' crown. The crown of his closest, deceased, friend.

   His fur began to darken, hastily. This time, with Amy's notice. Who urged Sonic to calm down. The king took a breath, before addressing the crowd.

   "…alright, guys. I know not all of you are a fan of me being on the throne. Seriously. I get it." The leader said, voice raised.

   "But cut me some slack! I'm new to this! I haven't had control of my own brain in the past years, much less a kingdom!"

   "Then what makes YOU qualified to rule us?" An angry citizen yelled. "That Shadow guy has been more of a-"

    "More of a criminal than anyone else! Sonic is doing his best!" Another yelled back.

   Without warning, the streets descended into chaos. Supporters of both King Sonic and King Shadow wailed abuse at one another. Fights even breaking out. The king had enough. Thinking quick, he sped up a nearby stand, facing the conflict.

   "LISTEN!" The hedgehog yelled. The streets grew to silence.

   "…Look. I get both sides of this! Shad's a strong, caring guy! And I'm sure some of you think he'd take care of you! But listen close, guys. I'm king. And I care way more about what happens to each and every one of you more than he ever has! I've always done whatever I can to protect this planet! I'm a big reason why Egghead isn't around to terrorize us! But please, even if you don't trust me to take care of business, don't take it out on each other. Try to calm down. Like it or not, we're all Mobians. That's not changing, everyone."

   The crowd gave each other a hardened glare, a tension still clearly present. After a moment, the citizens resumed their daily lives. Some more annoyed than others. Satisfied, Sonic met back up with his group. Shaking the pastry off in the process.

   The four strolled in through the towering doors of Castle Freedom. Knuckles and Mighty towing large bags of groceries to the kitchen, where an unknowing bee was about to have his work cut out for him. The two hedgehogs walked silently to the throne room. Amy shutting the doors behind as they entered.

   "Okay, what was that?" Amy demanded.

   "What was what?"

   "Your fur." The girl began. "When you were in the Square, you starting turning a different color, like when you go Super! But it was a really dark blue! What happened, Sonic?"

   "…Ah geez. Knew this was gonna come up." Sonic sprinted to his throne, where he sat back, removing his gilded glove and shoulder guard. Amy sauntered over, arms crossed.

   Sonic groaned. "Ever since I got locked in that stupid dungeon, my fur's been doin' that. Whenever it did, I got a rush of power. It saved me from Metal a lot of times. But, it only happened when I got real mad. Whenever I go Super, I get the same kind of jolt. Like I could take on anything thrown at me. But I feel…righteous. I know I'm fighting for what's right. But this…this feels…it feels wrong, Rosy."

   Amy pondered to herself, before taking the hero's hand. "You have to keep that in check, Sonic. It's dangerous to mess with that kinda energy. It sounds a lot like what Perfect Chaos took from the Emeralds to power himself! And do you remember what happened to him?"

   "I put a hedgehog-sized hole in his head."

   "Yeah, yeah you did. And we both know there's a hedgehog out there willing to repeat the cycle."

   Sonic nodded with a slight smirk, appreciating the humor, before rising to his feet. "Speaking of which, what's the plan for dealing with Dr. Edgy Quills?"

   "Funny you should ask." Amy twirled her hammer, appearing from seemingly nowhere. "Knuckles has volunteered to give you some fighting lessons. You haven't practiced in a while!"

   "Oh cool! It'll be nice tussling with ol' knucklehead! Just like old times!" The hero put his fist in his palm in anticipation, before putting on his glove and guard once more.

   Amy raised her hand quickly. "Wait, before you-" Without a word, Sonic bolted off to find his sparring partner.

   "…dang it."