Part 4- Tell Me What Has Happened To You

"Careful"

Phoebe thought to herself, trying to open the door to her room as quietly as possible.

The key clicked loudly in the door, making her cringe. She didn't want to wake up George. When she walked into the room the lights were still off, and she could hear him breathing peacefully as he slept. She sighed in relief.

She glanced over at the clock on the nightstand, it was 2AM.

She rushed over to the bathroom, and turned on the shower, anxious to wash last nights sins off of her body. She stared at herself in the mirror. Who was she? The girl she knew six months ago would never be in this mess. She was grateful for the steam of the shower painting over her reflection.

She stepped into the shower and let the near-scorching water run down her body. She couldn't get it hot enough and no matter how hard she scrubbed she couldn't get rid of Paul's fingerprints.

Suddenly, She heard something in the bathroom. She stopped washing her hair and opened the shower door to get a better look. George was standing outside.

"George! When did you come in here?"

She exclaimed, looking at his slim, naked body outside of the door.

"I thought I heard you in here, love. What are you doing having a shower so late?"

She turned ghost white. She stared at his loving brown eyes, trying to reciprocate the feeling. He was such an amazing man, it made the regret more excruciating.

"Mind if I join you, darling?"

George said, stepping into the blistering hot shower.

"Ouch! Trying to burn your skin off?"

He said, turning the knob to the cooler side. He lovingly wrapped his arms around Phoebe from behind, and kissed her shoulder.

"Oh Phoebe. I've just had a dream."

He said, nuzzling his face into her neck.

"I had a dream that you left me, and it made me realize how selfish I've been lately. I haven't put you first and I am so sorry for that. You deserve so much better. I'm going to make it up to you love, I promise."

He said embracing her tightly, she felt herself tense up as he began to lay gentle pecks on her wet skin. How could she have been so foolish? How could she betray the one man she truly loves? She felt sick to her stomach.

"George I-"

"Phoebe you don't have to say a thing, you've not done anything wrong. I will make you the happiest girl in the world from now on. I love you."

He said, still holding onto her. What was she supposed to say to that? She had done something very wrong. Only he didn't know that yet.

"If only he had said that last night. If only he'd said that before Paul."

She thought to herself. Still, she shouldn't have made such an impulsive decision. She should have believed in George. He was so sweet natured, he was someone who would never intentionally hurt her. Yet she hurt him.

"George, I have something to tell you. Something about last night."

The lump in her throat grew larger and the tears became harder to hold back. She knew this could be the end of everything. After this, she wouldn't blame George for leaving her. She deserved it.

"Love, whatever it is, don't worry about it. We can have a fresh start, you and me. Starting now."

"No George, you need to know what happened earlier and I need to tell you right now!"

Phoebe said sternly. The bathroom fell quiet, with only the trickling sound of water filling the humid room.

"Last night..."

She paused. Could she even do this? George just poured his heart out and now she was going to break it into a million pieces.

"Last night I went to the pool like any other night only...only I wasn't alone."

George looked confused.

"Who were you with?"

He said with his thick eyebrows curled. He looked concerned, and confused.

She gulped, trying her best to hold back the river of tears begging to rush out.

"Paul"

"Paul? Well, that's not surprising. He's a night owl too. Why are you telling me this?"

"Because we didn't just drink together. We... I... went to his room."

"Phoebe... did you?"

He said, stepping away from her.

"I... I'm so sorry."

That was all she could say as George began to cry. He fell to his knees on the shower floor and buried his head in his hands. His silence was killing her. He sat there for a few seconds before grabbing a towel and running out of the bathroom.

"George I'm so sorry PLEASE say something!"

Phoebe cried as she ran after him. He was making the bed, and he still hadn't said one word to her.

"George what are you doing? Baby please talk to me!"

She sobbed uncontrollably as she watched George shuffle around in his suitcase. He seemed to be looking for something. Phoebe went over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He flinched and pushed it off.

"Don't fucking touch me. Get your ass on the bed. Now."

He growled. She did as she was told and laid on the bed with only a towel on. George walked over to her, twirling a purple silk scarf in his fingers. He threw her hands above her head roughly and wrapped her hands tightly, it was almost painful.

"I'm going to make you pay for what you've done to me. To us."

To be continued