So Long, LaRue

Linda picked at her food a few days later as she ate lunch with LaRue. She needed to tell him to buzz off, because he was getting ridiculous! Sending her flowers every day, sending chocolate and strawberries, she just couldn't take it anymore. Yes, she liked all those things, but not every single day!
"Tommy," Linda started, "Tommy... I like you, I do. But you're just—"
"It's the Roses, right?" He interrupted. "You like red ones, not yellow! I'm sorry, I won't send yellow ones again. Whaddabout the chocolate? Didn't you like the chocolate?—"
"Tom!" The blonde interrupted. "Listen to me! And don't talk cause I have to get through this." She took a deep breath. "Tommy, I like you, I do. But you're just too much!"
"Too much?"
"Is that you talking?" Linda didn't know why she was on the verge of tears.
"Sorry."
"I can't be smothered like this. Roses and chocolates are nice on special occasions, and every once in a while just because. But not every single day. Tommy, I wanna be free. And you're not letting me be free. You're too arrogant and... puffy..." Linda couldn't think of the right word, "and-and-and.... you're smothering me! I can't take you anymore. So I'm breaking up with you."
There was a pause before Tommy asked, "so... if I asked you to marry me, you'd say... no?"
"Ugh!!" Linda stood up from her chair and walked out of the restaurant. "Asshole." She cursed under her breath.
*******
Danny tipped his head back and let out an exasperated sigh as he sat in the patrol car. He buzzed his lips together before taking his gun out of its holster. He looked at it, his body language screaming he was bored out of his mind.
"I can tell ya wanna be a detective." Gormley mused. "Ya need the action."
"Sitting in an RMP is not my idea of action," Danny smiled, "too boring."
Gormley nodded, "it is pretty boring."
"Then why're you doing it?"
"Cause you're the rookie. And until I move to the 54, I'm gonna be stuck with ya."
"You're going to the 54?"
"I was told after I ride with ya, which is for six-ish months, I'll be overseeing the 54."
"Oh. Well, good luck with that."
"I'm sure I'll need it."
A few moments of silence passed before Danny asked, "you married?"
"Yup. Girlfriend?"
"Fiancé."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Her name's Aimee. Aimee, uh, Clark."
Gormley smiled, "for how long?"
The rookie blew out a breath, "oh... three months..."
"Ya say with uncertainty."
Danny shrugged, "I dunno. She's just.... I don't know."
"I'm guessing you're having second doubts."
"And third doubts, and fourth, and fifth..... I wanna break it off. I just don't know how it when."
"Not over the phone, I can tell you that."
"Why? You speak with authority?"
"Well...." Gormley shrugged.
"No! You called off an engagement over the phone?"
"Yeah, looking back, that wasn't the best idea."
Danny laughed, then saw the car that was going way over the speed limit. "Finally! Something to do!"