Kyo and Kyoko

Kyo had woken up early that morning to visit Kyoko's grave. The orange tulips stood out brightly against the granite head stone. He had made it a habit to leave these specifically since she had been fascinated with his hair color when she was alive. Kyo had hated his orange hair back then but had a newfound appreciation now. That had everything to do with Tohru.

"Hey, Kyoko," Kyo said, shoving his hands deep inside his pant pockets, eyes focused on the ground. "You asked me to protect Tohru, and I've been keepin' my promise but...something happened." Kyo took a deep breath. "I know what you're thinking. 'You screwed up, fix it, kid.'" Kyo chuckled.

"And you're right. At one time I wouldn't have known if I could. I would have thought I wasn't good enough or strong enough. But now I know that I am. Kyoko, I don't know what stupid thing I did this time or why she looked at me the way she did but I promise I won't run away this time." Kyo wiped his damp eyes with the back of a hand. He then placed it atop the headstone and said "Do me a favor, huh? If you see Tohru, tell her she can talk to me. Whenever she's ready, I'll be there to listen."

As Kyo took a moment of silence a sudden breeze tousled his hair. Coincidence most likely but Kyo smiled at the headstone through tears, choosing to believe Kyoko was there with him. "I miss you," he said. Then he turned away from the headstone and began the walk home.

Yuki was watching television when Kyo entered the room. He looked at Kyo quickly before avoiding Kyo's eyes.

"She told you." It wasn't a question. Kyo wasn't surprised, Yuki was one of Tohru's best friends and they lived under the same roof. Still, even though Yuki and himself were on good terms that didn't mean he wanted him knowing everything that transpired in his relationship.

"Not the details," Yuki said.

"Where is she?" Kyo asked.

"She went to visit her mother," Yuki said.

Kyo nodded, unsurprised by the answer. He sighed, scratched the back of his head and lowered himself down near Yuki to watch TV.

"She loves you more than anything, you know?" Yuki said, eyes still focused on the television set.

"Is that right?" Kyo turned to look at Yuki.

Yuki nodded, still not making eye contact with Kyo. "Why do you think she's so afraid?"

"Huh?" What the hell was that supposed to mean?

Yuki finally turned to look at Kyo. "Stupid Cat," he said with an eye roll.