C1 - I

I - Clinging to innocence, Suffocating power.

I V Y 

Ivy Monroe was intent on memorizing the courtroom. An event that would decide her future. 

She was ladled in bandages, first and second-degree burns hid underneath them. Her face, however, had luckily remained unscathed. 

She rigidly crossed her arms across her chest. Meeting the eyes of her father in the crowd moments before she looked away, silently seething.

She had come dressed for a funeral, her funeral. The end of her life started in prison. It was inevitable, Ivy knew her family were intent on keeping her as far from them as possible while still being under their control. She wore a black, satiny mid-thigh dress which delicately clung to her body with thin straps

Her raven dark hair tumbled over her shoulders in soft waves. Partially covering a part of her bandages on her bicep.

Ivy had quickly enclosed herself in her thoughts, she never had been one for focusing. She fidgeted daintily with her fingers, eager for this all to be over.

This was going to be the final trial held for her. She was hardly listening to what the courtroom was saying, to the words the judge was speaking and what the lawyers were arguing about.

On one side of the court, journalists were scribbling notes for their next headliner. Red lights blinked mockingly as she was filmed. Heated stares burnt her skin like the fire once had and the clicks of cameras were constant, adding more prying eyes to the already packed courtroom.

Her downfall was being broadcasted live for the world to see, the public was desperate to glimpse the fallen angel, something they rarely got the chance to do. Ivy disliked being in the media, but it came with being the daughter to the Monroe family, her father was a politician, her brother a famed social star and her mother an owner to a renowned business. 

Even if she was still disowned by her parents, the attention still came. It was no surprise that her arrest caught the attention of the media.

The crime committed didn't exactly shock anyone. Ivy was well-known amongst the police force for her criminal affiliations and bittersweet personality. But she was adamant she had not been the cause of what they were accusing. Plus, her record had been clean, she was only friends with rule-breakers. No one had cared enough to listen to her. Due to the fact that her parents probably paid them off to make the trial a one-way track to prison.

Everyone was more than eager to witness the final verdict of the jury. Ivy wasn't used to this many judgemental stares, her heart flickered with unease, blood pumping rapidly. Her burns started to sting from the adrenaline that ran through her. She bet that if she were to stand, she'd be quaking in her boots. Yes, she wore thigh-high boots with her dress. Lace-up combat style. She was more than ready to defend herself wordlessly.

The jury walked back into the courtroom, sitting in their designated rows.

"Have you reached a conclusion?" The judge asked, an officer transferring an envelope which the judge read before signalling to the Juror standing to state their decision.

"We find the defendant, Miss Ivy Monroe guilty for first-degree arson" The judge slammed his hammer on the gravel to silence the upturned court and finalise the decision.

"The defendant, Ivy Monroe is sentenced to one year for first-degree arson" He slammed his grovel once more at the constant murmur that arose from the crowd. 

It was an open court, so Ivy had never seen half the people attending. A calloused hand harshly gripped her arm, pulling her out of her seat. Her handcuffs rattled ominously as the court silenced to watch her exit, cameras zooming in for details.