Volume 1, Part 8: Blending In

————————————————————————
Thank you all so much for the support!Summer break has started for me, and requests for more parts have been piling up, so I thought I'd get to working on a new one. enjoy!
————————————————————————
((what a bother.))

I stand up slowly, taking a deep breath to stall for time. ((I figure "Coffee-Jelly Man" won't cut it as an introduction, so I'll have to think up a convincing backstory)). The problem is I don't exactly have an interesting history. The other students seem to have intricate stories that were almost tailored to be riveting, and I need something similar in order to fit in with them. I ponder using mass mind-control to convince everyone that I'm exactly like them, but something about the teacher's red eyes glaring at me makes me feel almost... powerless? Sighing, I begin what I was able to come up with.

"My name is Saiki Kusuo. My life has been rather dull, and I wanted something new. Somehow I ended up here. Thank you." ((crap, there's no way that's gonna work.)) There's a moment of silence in the classroom, but my worry dissolves as the teacher nods. He seems much more relaxed than most people I'm used to dealing with, something that I'm very appreciative of. Sliding back in my seat, I glance around the room, taking subtle note of each of the fellow students around me.

"Next..." he calls groggily. "Kirishima, you go." A rough-looking kid with spiky red hair stands up and starts blabbing. He speaks with so much enthusiasm that I can barely distinguish his words. "Blah blah CRIMSON RIOT blah blah GETTIN' SWOL blah." By the time the next classmate starts talking, I've tuned out. I'd almost forgot about my "mission" to spy on the Class-1A students, and now I have to make sure I can get close enough to all of these children in order to get the information I need. ((Yes, I said children. I am a year or two older that most of them, although they don't seem to notice.))

I figure I won't have to act particularly friendly, as my typical cold demeanor seems to attract all sorts of weirdos who want to be my friends. ((And, sometimes, they want to be more than friends. Damn, I was this close to forgetting Teruhashi existed.)) I will, however, have to try at least little to get close to the more reserved of the class ((I'm looking at you, angry blond.))

By the time I had finished taking a few mental notes of how I planned to approach each of these misfits, class was already about to end. The bell hadn't rung yet, but everyone around me was already packing their bags ((typically, teachers hate this, but I get the feeling Mr. Sleeping-Bag won't mind.))

According to the schedule Kurogiri had so kindly teleported to me on my way to school, I had lunch next, right after this class. Once everyone finished eating, we'd head outside for a practical hero lesson taught by none other than "All Might" ((personally, I have no idea who he is, but he pisses off Tomura, so I already like him.)) Once the bell rings, I head straight for the door, hoping to avoid any... unwanted encounters with another student. Just before I reach the door, however, I hear a squeaky voice call out from behind me.

"Excuse me? Saiki?"

Sounds like that green-haired kid from earlier ((I recognize him as Izuku from the pictures Tomura showed me)). I figure it won't be too hard to pretend I didn't hear him, since he didn't yell very loudly and the halls are already beginning to fill with the bustling sounds of high-schoolers walking to their next class. Suddenly, I hear a voice call out again.

"KUSUO, SIR. WAIT FOR US."

Either the kid went through puberty in a snap or some other nut-job wants to talk to me. And, as a tall, muscular student with short blue hair darts in front of me, I realize it's the latter. To my surprise ((and amusement, might I add)), he bows, bending in a near perfect right-angle as part of some greeting ritual. Obviously, I can't exactly pretend I don't see him, so I respond with a quick nod, continuing to walk past him.

It only takes a few seconds for them to catch up, and I end up with (in total) three other students walking alongside me. The taller one ((who seems to have concerning pipes extruding from his legs)) introduces himself as Iida, and a shy girl ((who I can recognize as Ochaco)) waves at me as we walk.

After a couple moments of quiet I figure, both for the sake of espionage and to break awkward silence, I should make conversation. Thinking for a moment, I turn to Izuku as we walk.

"So, you're Deku, right?" I begin, recalling the nickname I had heard him use during class, "What are your powers like?" Izuku looks flustered for a moment, pondering his next words carefully. ((My guess is he's hiding something, or at least trying to withhold something from his words.))

"My quirk? Yeah, uh... I can... "he begins sheepishly, pausing again to collect his words. "My quirk lets me concentrate strength into certain parts of my body. It makes me punches and kicks really strong. Anyway... what's your qu-" Before he can ask me about my abilities, Iida cuts him off enthusiastically.

"Strong is a wild understatement, Midoriya," he starts eagerly, turning to face me as he continues. "You should have seen his fights during the festival! He shattered Todoroki's ice into millions of pieces!" ((I've heard a lot about Todoroki; I'd like to see his quirk in action at some point.)) Izuku looks embarrassed, so I return to the question he had tried to ask me as we continue down the hall.

"You wanted to know about my... quirk?" I ask rhetorically, continuing quickly. ((Still getting used to the word 'quirk', though it's very common here)). "I can create energy attacks and use telekinesis," I say plainly, entering the doors of the cafeteria. "I'm going to go grab food. I'll come sit with you guys if I can find you," I say, having no real intent to sit with them. ((Sure, I'm supposed to learn more about them, but I won't have anyone bother me while I'm eating, especially if this cafeteria serves the you-know-what.))

And it appears I'm in luck, as a quick thoughtography shows that they make coffee jelly fresh at the dessert section. It's supposed to be much less sugary due to school health codes, but the chefs here are said to be incredible, so I don't mind. However, as I enter the dessert line, a problem arises. There are about 20 people in front of me, each picking out a dessert as they go, but only 3 remaining coffee jellies.

The first is picked up quickly, and I'm only about 5 spaces away when the second is taken. But as I approach it, close enough to grab the heavenly treasure, the blond student in front of me stops in line, extending his hand as he decides what he's going to take. Suddenly, in a swift motion, he grabs the coffee jelly, carelessly slapping it on his plate like the heathen he is.

((This is the most legitimate conflict I've dealt with thus far. This... this means war.))