Chapter One

"This is bullshit." Tony seethed, slamming the papers onto the table and looking at with it barely concealed disdain. His hair was tousled from running his hands through it periodically. Rhodey sighed, looking at Tony sadly, and sunk down into the comfortable plush chairs that sat around his living room.

"I know, Tones," Rhodey said softly. "I know." He had sat through everything, he had helped his best friend--his brother, get through so much and it was so unfair that after everything he had gone through, after everything was finally, finally going right, everything had to unravel.

Tony bit his lip, trying very hard not to break. (The skin of his lips or his mental state was yet to be determined)This was a nightmare. Why was this happening now? Now of all times? It'd been nearly fourteen years. Tony had worked so damn hard and now this?

And how was he supposed to tell this to Peter? His son barely knew anything about his other father. Just that he existed and left the picture a long time ago. And it's not like Tony was intentionally keeping Peter ignorant, he wasn't that much of an asshole (except he was. He really was) he just never knew how to tell him. And Peter never pushed, never demanded an answer.

But now.

Now everything was going to come to light.

"What am I supposed to do?" Tony asked, looking up at his best friend with wet eyes. "What do I do now?"

Rhodey shook his head, looking down at his clenched fists. "I don't know. But whatever you decide, I'm with you all the way."

Tony nodded, looking out his window, admiring the view of the beautiful city.

"Dad?" Tony snapped his gaze to see his barely fourteen-year-old son standing in the doorway sheepishly. He looked between Rhodey and Tony, clearly sensing the obvious tension in the room.

"Hey Bambi," Tony said, a small part of his anxiety easing at the sight of his son. Tony knew he was nothing like Howard. No, he was the exact opposite. Rhodey says he's overprotective (and, no, that's not it. He just knows that he has a lot of enemies. Ones that aren't above harming children) Pepper says he's possessive (and no, that's not it either. He just likes knowing where his son is because when he doesn't his chest constricts and his brain forgets to tell his lungs to breathe) Tony calls it being a good dad.

Peter shuffles into the room awkwardly, his fuzzy Iron Man socks padding against the hardwood. He climbs into the chair next to Tony and hugs his knees close to his chest. "What's going on?" he asks.

Tony hummed. "It's really complicated, bud."

"Well it's a good thing I inherited your brains," Peter says coyishly. Tony huffs. "What is it?"

"Peter, I don't want you to worry about it right now," Tony says, ruffling his son's chestnut curls. Peter slapped his arm away and gave him a pouty glare. "I promise I'll tell you all about it later."

"Fine," Peter relented. "What's for dinner?"

"Take out?" Tony offered. Peter nodded in excitement and then raced off, spouting about some science project he needed to do. Tony watched fondly as his son buzzed about the room, only taking breaths in the pauses between his long rants. Rhodey giggled at the appropriate moments but all Tony could do was think about the order.

The demand to create a law.

The Sokovia Accords.

________________________________________________

Tony cooed at his son's baby arms. They were so small and he waved them around like he was trying to fly. It was truly the most adorable sight Tony had ever been greeted with. Steve smiled and squeezed Tony's hand, tears swelling up in his eyes.