•THREE•

Anna-Mae

The last two weeks flew by quickly and were uneventful besides school, homework and exams. However, the one thing that was unusual was that I kept receiving a bouquet of flowers—each day a different design but not any less impressive in size. The only thing that had stayed the same was the card with the same repeated message.

"We're running out of room to put these." Liz complained, referring to the fourteen flower bouquets scattered all over our living room and kitchen. Some looked fresh while some were starting to wilt. "Can you tell this Mateo guy to stop sending these and that we got the point...even though you won't tell me why he's sorry."

I can't tell him to stop since I don't have his number and don't know how to reach him.

"Hey. Didn't you say you're going to a party tonight?" I changed the topic.

"Yeah. And it's not I'm going, it's we're going." She corrected me sweetly.

"Lizzzz." I whined.

"Either you go with me or you're gonna have to tell me about Mateo."

"Fine." I pouted. I would rather do anything else than tell her about him.

"Fine, you'll go with me or fine you'll tell me?"

"Fine, I'll go." I said unenthusiastically, with slumped shoulders, I went into my room to get ready.

Thirty minutes later, Liz came into my room to check my progress. She had on a red cropped top and a black fitted skirt, her straight brown shoulder length hair curled to perfection. She had on semi-heavy makeup but left her natural freckles shown through.

"Tell me you are not wearing that." Liz said with disapproval as she eyed my mustard yellow sweater and high waisted black skinny jeans. "I didn't say anything last time about your outfit but this time..."

"What's wrong with my outfit?" I cut her off.

"It's cute but just not for a party." She squinted and added, "Although those jeans do make your butt look good."

I laughed. "Really? I guess incorporating the resistance belt to my work out has been helping."

I used to run but I haven't had time lately so I figured doing a ten minute resistance work out daily was better than nothing.

"You gotta let me borrow those jeans sometimes. And back to the subject at hand, you are not wearing that." Liz could not be distracted and was unrelenting.

"In my defense, nobody is going to care about what I wear because they'll be too busy having fun and too drunk to notice. Even if they do care, then that's their problem. I'm not there to impress anybody. And if those reasons aren't good enough, I do have a crop top under my sweater."

"Yes you are. You are there to impress potential future boyfriends." She said it with so much seriousness that I had to laugh.

"Liz. Please." I begged with my whiny voice. "Just let me be tonight. I would rather be warm and comfortable than be cold and uneasy."

"Fine. Don't blame me if you don't end up with a boyfriend." She said finally.

I laughed. "If I didn't get a guy because I'm not wearing the right outfit to the party then I'm okay with that. I would hope the guy who likes me would at least see beyond my outfit choice."

"True. But then again, most guys are dumb and they judge on first impressions." Liz and I both had a good laugh at that.

Nick and Jason showed up right at ten. At least they were punctual. On our way to the party, Jason and I sat in the backseat as we exchanged pleasantries. When we arrived at the house, I could not get out of the car fast enough. The awkward silence was suffocating since Jason and I had nothing to talk about after making inconsequential remarks to each other. Neither of us were great conversationalists which made for a very boring car ride.