iix. Reported missing

( Stranger Things, Season One )

The Body

Chapter Eight: Reported missing

"She won't even play a board game without reading the rulebook twice"

Trigger warning: themes of neglect and emotional abuse

Mary Adams was a neglectful mother. She got pregnant with Victoria as soon as she left high school by mistake and decided to follow through with the pregnancy. Despite the hardship she received for the baby, she managed to get a job and a home for them. She provided care for Victoria, but she didn't love her. She loved Tori the way a mother has to, not out of a genuine place because to Mary her baby wasn't a blessing, she was an inconvenience on her plans and her time. Why should she stop doing exactly what she wants? She put herself before Tori. She put her boyfriends, her work and her own time before Tori. Mary was just being responsible for herself, who said she needed to be more responsible for Tori, as long as she had a bed, food, possessions and clothes, she was fine.

The neglect didn't limit to the lack of emotional bond however. Once Mary thought Tori was old enough, she would leave her home alone for a night or two and each time it was fine. She'd also spend time drinking more than the recommended amount. However, on a recent occasion it went a little far.

It was about 5 o'clock when Mary finally arrived home. She had spent a little longer than she planned to at her boyfriend's house those past couple days and she hadn't thought much of any consequences. She got out of her car with her bag and locked it before walking up to the front door, keys in hand. First thing she noticed however was how she had no need for her keys with the door already unlocked.

She pushed it open and dropped her bag down, instantly she felt a stone cold breeze over her. The room was freezing and no lights were on. She gasped slightly at how piercing it was against her skin, "Victoria! Why is it so cold in here? Victoria!"

Mary closed the door behind her and walked through the house, turning some lights on before she noticed the back door wide open, she called out, "and why is the back door open?"

There was no response.

"Victoria! I'm speaking to you! Aren't you going to respond?" Mary called again, agitated and frustrated at her daughters lack of care or response. In a huff, she walked up the stairs and into her room, still calling her name, except when she realised her daughter wasn't actually home, her voice became softer, "Victoria?"

Mary then realised she may have made a mistake leaving her daughter alone.

"Are you deaf? i thought you were going to be our friend! you lied to us, you said Will was okay, that he was still out there! but he wasn't, he wasn't! maybe you thought you were helping, but you weren't!" Mike ranted as Eva opened the basement door and walked down the steps. She had brought El home and set her up in the small tent while she was getting ready for bed. Mike wasn't down there at the time, otherwise Eva wouldn't have left them alone.