xiv. Early dentist trip

( Stranger Things, Season One )

The Monster

Chapter Fourteen: Early dentist trip

"Wet yourself!"

"This is weird without Lucas," Dustin initiated. The conversation had been light since they left Lucas' as the group rode on their bikes.

"He should've shook my hand," Mike shrugged in response still looking at the floor.

"He's just jealous," Dustin remarked but Mike's eyes perked up.

"What'd you mean?" Eva furrowed her eyebrows.

"Sometimes your total obliviousness just blows my mind," Dustin sighed as they continued on their bikes,  "he's your best friend, right?"

"Yeah, I mean, I don't know," Mike stammered, not wanting to seem like he was going to choose any of this friends over the other.

"It's fine, I get it, i didn't get here till the fourth grade and he had the advantage of living next door, but none of that matters. what matters is, he's your best friend. Then this girl shows up, and starts living in your guys' basement, and all Eva does is pay attention to her, and then you're all focused on El too." Dustin expanded, speaking for a while.

"That's not true!" Mike quickly replied. 

"Yes it is! And you know it, and he knows it, but nobody ever says anything until you and Lucas start punching and yelling at each other like goblins with the intelligence scores of zero, now everything's weird," Dustin continued.

"He's not my best friend," Mike finished.

"Yeah, right." Dustin chuckled.

Mike sighed, "I mean, he is, but so are you. And so is Will."

"You can't have more than one best friend," Dustin shook his head.

"Yes you can," Via disagreed.

"Says who?" Mike questioned Dustin quickly, a little offended.

"Says logic," Dustin replied.

"Well I call bull on your logic, because you're my best friend too!" Mike confirmed.

"Okay," Dustin smiled a little, looking at Mike for a moment before turning back to facing the road they were cycling down.

The group carried on cycling down the road for about 10 minuets before they passed by a local supermarket. Eva had been in there a few times to get things for mom or get snacks on the way to Via's or Tori's. Only the entire market was surrounded by multiple police cars and a few officers were talking to staff and, what she assumed to be, witnesses of something. The group all exchanged looks as they slowed on their bikes towards the market.