Prologue: The vanishing of Will Byers and Tori Adams

( stranger things, season one )
the vanishing of Will Byers

( stranger things, season one ) the vanishing of Will Byers

Prologue: the vanishing of Will Byers and Tori Adams

" Will there ever be a time where your mother isn't going out with her boyfriend? "

Eva sat eyes wide on the edge of her seat. Lips parted, arms around a pillow and hanging onto what she believed was going to happen. The main character was just about to turn the corner in the fall to find out the killer was—

"Girls?"

Eva, Tori and Via screamed. The light had flickered on and they were no longer surrounded by the dark with their only light source being the television. Tori tumbled off her bed and onto the floor, while Via fell with her. She then stood up and yelled in annoyance. "I— Mama! we were watching—!"

"I don't care what you were watching, Victoria," her mother said dismissively, stepping inside and looking at herself in Tori's small mirror on the desk, "it's 7pm and i'm going out."

"As always," Tori grumbled, tossing one of her cushions back onto her bed and not looking at her mother, who was dulled up in a nice dress and curled hair.

"Excuse me?" She turned around, looking at Tori interrogatively, prompting Via and Eva to shuffle away.

"Nothing, mama," Tori shook her head casually, still remaking her bed, before stopping and sighing, "can't we just finish the movie—"

"No, Tori, i should've sent you home earlier than this but i lost track of time." She replied, turning back around to check herself again.

"But mama—" Tori went to protest, her voice a little urgent and desperate.

"Tori, it's 7pm on a school night and I know Karen doesn't like her children out too late on school nights," She insists, gesturing to Eva who stood up a little straighter after being addressed by Tori's mother, "go on down, you can see your friends out."

Tori sighed and started to walk out her room with Eva and Via following closely behind. Tori's house was small and it only had two bedrooms, hers and her mothers as she had no siblings. It had always just her and her mother since she was young, at least, living in the house. Tori absolutely hated the idea of anyone else living in the house with them, and he hated the idea of her mother seeing someone else who could also end up living there.

"Will there ever be a time where your mom isn't going out with her boyfriend?" Via commented in a little judgement, picking up her lay down red bike and walking around to the road, Eva and Tori following, "I mean, I hardly ever see her not dressed up."