A Fresh Start

Chapter 2 - A fresh start

"Ugh," I grumbled as I searched for my box of clothes. I needed to find something to wear to school, but it seemed like my clothes boxes had disappeared. The outfit I had on yesterday was ruined by pizza sauce and the lingering smell of a long car ride with my parents.

I dug through the unopened boxes, hoping to come across something suitable. Finally, I stumbled upon my old clothes from my freshman year in Dallas. Unfortunately, that was back when my mother still picked out my outfits, and they were overly preppy and cheerful.

I let out a sigh, feeling like I had no other option. Who knew if those clothes would even fit me anymore.

"Honey, do you want a ride?" my dad's voice came from behind the door.

"I'll walk," I replied, feeling the pressure to find something to wear in that box.

"Okay, have a great first day,"Dad said, I listened to his footsteps walk away.

After some searching, I found a plaid skirt and a small tee shirt. The skirt was a bit short, but it seemed like my only choice. My thighs had definitely filled out since my freshman days, so there was no way I could squeeze into my old pants.

As I quickly changed into the plaid skirt, I realized it was shorter than I remembered. The tee shirt was snug but wearable nearly covering my midsection.

With my outfit thrown together, I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door, trying to ignore the mystery of my missing clothes.

I made sure to avoid my mother as much as possible. I had already endured her nagging during breakfast and didn't want her to see how tight my clothes were – she'd have a meltdown.

As I walked, I turned on my Walkman, eager to drown out the deafening silence of the suburban neighborhood.

Passing by the neatly trimmed lawns and identical houses of the suburban neighborhood, I couldn't help but feel like an outsider in my mismatched attire. But the music provided a shield, creating a bubble of my own little world amidst the staleness of the surroundings.

Approaching the school building, my heart began to race with fear. The bustling students surrounding me were all engaged in conversations, chatting away.

I took a deep breath and reminded myself that high school was all about survival. I adjusted my Walkman, making sure the music was loud enough to drown out any potential whispers about my outfit. With a determined stride, I pushed open the heavy school doors and entered the bustling halls.

The familiar scent of floor cleaner mixed with the chatter of students filled the air. I tried to keep my head down, avoiding eye contact as I navigated my way through the crowded corridors. The click of my shoes on the linoleum floor seemed to echo louder in my ears than the music blaring from my Walkman.

As I made my way towards the principal's office, I focused on putting one foot in front of the other, trying to block out the stares and whispers around me. The sound of my heartbeat seemed to drown out everything else as I approached the office door.

With a shaky hand, I knocked lightly on the door, hoping that the principal would be helpful. Moments later, the door creaked open, revealing a middle-aged woman with a black bob, rectangular glasses and serious eyes.

"Can I help you?" she asked, her voice firm and commanding.

Summoning all the courage I had, I took a deep breath before stammering, "Um, hi, I'm new here. I... I need to get my schedule and locker assignment."

The principal, Ms. Li, nodded at me with a serious expression. "You must be Miss Gates. I am Principal Li," she confirmed, motioning for me to follow her inside. As I entered her office, the scent of bleach mixed with the sweet aroma of red vines filled the air.