Chapter 8- The Ball Pt. 3

As we walked into the ballroom everyone clapped, probably at the boy in the dragon mask for finding me

As we walked into the ballroom everyone clapped, probably at the boy in the dragon mask for finding me. Apparently, the entertainment ended a few minutes ago, everybody had been looking for me since. I didn't know that it had been so long since I left, apparently when someone threatens your life you don't pay attention to time.

As the music started I took the man's hand, "So a dragon?" I asked, like with everyone else.

"Well, I think dragons are pretty cool, so I grabbed a mask that was a dragon. Nothin' else to it." Already this boy seems really relaxed, too relaxed if you asked me. He seemed like the guy to go along with everything someone tells him. That could be helpful if I wanted to rule the kingdom by myself. Which I did not want to do.

The music stopped for me to switch partners, and the second half of the night went on much like the first half. When my mother announced that it was the end of the ball, I was more than relieved, I couldn't take another minute of dancing. Mother told me to go back to my room, then she asked Raven to escort me, just as she described hours before. I had forgotten about the Adriel's offer and by the time I got to my quarters all I wanted was to know more about my mother's mysterious jester.

"So Raven, tell me more about this jester." I said, going into the bathroom to change out of my dress.

"Well, one night the jester and I came to your mother's window, and we took her to a tea party, it was full of fun and amazing animals, just having fun. The night was amazing, until the end." I found Raven perched on my bedpost when I came out of the bathroom, in my nightgown.

"Did the night end too soon?" I asked, not sure what could've gone wrong.

"Yes and no, you see I left out one detail, at the time a beast called the Jabberwock was roaming about Hearts. That night, the Jabberwock crashed our party. We lost friends that night, though thanks to Je-the jester we didn't lose as many as we could've." I heard Raven slip up, but didn't know why he corrected himself, I wanted to be polite so I didn't ask about it, instead I had a different question on my mind.

"I thought the Jabberwock was just a fairy tale. That the tale of Mother slaying it was made up." I said, confused about the story for the first time. Before answering me, Raven transformed into his human form, looking weary.

"All stories have truth behind them, the Jabberwock was from the Land of Chess. Or, well the magic it had was from chess anyway."

"So was there only one Jabberwock?" I asked fearing for his answer.

"That attacked Hearts, yes. Though we don't know if there are more out there." Raven's answer didn't seem real. The clock started chiming, reminding me of the late hour. It was about midnight once again, and then Adriel's offer came back into my mind.

"Raven, don't you need to get going now?" I asked, trying to get him out of my room. I didn't want him seeing the rebels fearing he would tell my mother about them.

"Yes, I do." As he stood up, a pipe came down on his head, a cracking sound could be heard as he fell to the ground unconscious. 

A/N: Hey, I know I haven't posted in a while. I'm sorry for that, if you want me to try to post more often I'll try my best. I'm re-posting chapter one, so please go check it out. It'll be posted as chapter one updated. Bye for now!

-PandaPhoenix05