Prologue

"It was probably around mid August of 1999. Robin and myself were out that night to hunt down the Joker, presumably. The both of us were drawn to a small crowd, with the police guarding an alleyway. Robin had insisted we get out to check things out to make sure things were safe. So we did. Everyone was staring at us and moving aside for us to get through. Robin decided to climb up for an advantage point as I walked over to the crime scene only to see you, June. You just crying on the ground over your gunned- down parents. The detective told me you'd refuse to move for any of them. Of course, I felt bad. You were probably only around seven and you had to go through seeing your own parents get murdered. Robin came down to talk with you and to comfort you, asking if you would like ice cream after this, remember? After it was all cleared up Dick and I agreed to take you until the police could figure out what to do with you. We took you out to ice cream then brought you back to the manor. I am never going to forgot those chubby, adorable cheeks of yours in amazement when you first stepped inside..." I shook my head, trying not to tear up as I confessed everything to her. June stared at me, doe-eyed as if she couldn't believe what was coming out of my mouth. "B...Bruce?" She asked, her clenched fist to her chest, right over her heart. "That first part you remember right?" I questioned, gently putting my hand atop her left shoulder. She nodded, her eyes still widened in disbelief. "June, that part-" I paused as I tightened my grip on her shoulder to keep myself from exploding. "-That part was a lie."