Sages

The insides of Katolis castle howled like a wounded animal. With no windows or doors to bar the raging storm, people who would have found refuge within its corridors were now exposed to the storms ferocity. Claudia and her brother left her room and found the corridor funnelled the storm's power into a vortex . Claudia led the way using the remnants of  her rain repulsion spell to keep the sting of wind-driven rain off of their skin. Shards of debris was another matter altogether.

    Soren braced his sister's shoulders as they both climbed the winding staircase up to the King's chamber. A wooden chair flew down the staircase aiming for the pair and Soren thrashed out his sword smashing the heavy furniture into wooden shards. The pair parried projectiles until they found the top of the stairs where the King had kept his council chambers. It was like some giant child had swept away its kingdom of toys. Heavy wooden doors hung from their steel hinges and Claudia could see the insides of the chamber buzzing with council members and soldiers.

    Soren entered the council chambers ahead of Claudia, sheathing his sword and running over to King Ezren who was clutching his hand to his chest. Ezren waved Soren away.

    "Thank you but I'm fine," said the young King, "go and help the others."

    Claudia ran up to King Ezren and pulled a number of magical reagents from her bag holding them out in front of her. Ezren gave her a puzzled look at first, but did not object at her unspoken request.

    "King Ezren, I know you've decreed to put a moratorium on Dark Magic at least allow me to treat the seriously wounded."

    The King closed his eyes and nodded solemnly. Claudia began her work, using a mortar and pestle to a crush dried flowers into a fine pumice. Ezren grimaced watching her crush living grasshoppers into the concoction. Claudia went around to all the injured in the room, placing flowers on their eyes then rubbing a dab of the foul tasting goo on their lips. She stood in front of King Ezren with a half smile.

    "My liege. You need to take your medicine," she held her index finger up with a tiny dap of the green goo.

    Ezren sighed, closed his eyes and stuck out his lips. It was an adorable moment that made Claudia remember the little boy who was once her friend and not the King. She smeared his lips with the goo and he recoiled at its taste, sticking out his tongue then gagging as the medicine went inside his mouth.

    Claudia stood in the middle of the room, her irises glowing a ghostly cyan as she spoke her dark incantation, "Sdnuow eseht ot efil gnirb!"

    Into the air she flung a dazzling flurry of tiny purple lights which descended like dandelion seeds into mouths and wounds. Tiny lights flashed as they landed on those with the most grievous of injuries and they cried out as they felt bones and tissues stitch themselves together.

    Slowly, the wounded began to stand as they tested their once injured limbs, now fully healed. Many members of the council smiled and gave Claudia thanks, some simply remained somber in the moment. One or two scowled and these are these were faces Claudia took to heart. It was King Ezren who came over to her, grasping her forearm in a tender grip with his once wounded hand.

    "Thank you Captain Soren and Claudia for coming to our aid so quickly after this... tragedy," King Ezren said with an air of leadership but Claudia could sense a bit of fear in his words. She knew she would have to tell him the truth about what occurred.

    "King Ezren, I need to tell you about what happened..."

    Soren cut in, "um, in private if you please?"

    King Ezren frowned, his eyes darting between Soren and Claudia's pleading faces. He dropped his gaze and raised one hand up in a shrug. He gave Opeli an order to lead the rescue operation in his stead for the time being. He lead them into the King's personal meeting room, its door still intact.