The Date

As much as he enjoyed the expansive beauty of his Sunfire instructor's estate, Callum was itching to get out and interact with the Sunfire village

As much as he enjoyed the expansive beauty of his Sunfire instructor's estate, Callum was itching to get out and interact with the Sunfire village. It would require a high cost - the transformation into an elf he was told was a painful one.

    Zelmai had lent Callum a set of Sunfire Elf attire that belonged to one of his sons. Sunfire civilians enjoyed bright, airy clothing and the outfit he loaned him was no exception. Grey pants tied-up with a red cloth belt fastened with a golden metallic buckle. A deep red undershirt had many hidden pockets, and a crimson tabard with silver embroidered accents. Callum thought he looked pretty sharp if he had to say so himself.

    Satisfied he had put his new clothing on properly, he bolted out his bedroom but in his excitement, he didn't see Rayla barreling down the hallway. His bony hip bounced off the taut bundle of muscles in her leg and the spry elf hopped backwards, shouting "hyup!" while holding her hands up in an exaggerated attack pose. Callum leapt backwards playfully mocking her pose by moving his hands in circles while extending two fingers in the air. She easily ducked under his jovial defensive posture and grabbed his hands. They both laughed - Callum more so - and he thought it was great to see her in such a playful mood again.

    "Look at you!" she said with a giggle. She leaned in closer to adjust the tabard he had mistakenly tucked into his belt and he felt the warmth of her floral scented breath on his cheek. She stepped back to admire his outfit.

    She also wore new set of Sunfire attire and as she caught his prolonged gaze, she twirled around on the tip of her toe, letting the loose ends of her tunic billow outwards. She wore a pair white sandals laced with thin, red leather straps that wove around her calves, a pair of cream coloured pants and an orange knitted cuirass with brown leather webbing to hold her weapons. Her silver-white hair was pulled back into braided ponytail.

    "You like it?" she asked.

    The only words he could mumble together were, "your clothes so pretty."

    "I can't believe I get to go on a real human date!" she said. Rayla was a student of human culture and often asked Callum uncomfortable questions about various courtship rituals. Since their recent change in relationship status, Callum had promised he would show her one of their rituals firsthand.

    She clapped her hands together and said, "race ya' to breakfast!"

    They playfully pushed and elbowed all the way down the stairs giggling like school kids at recess. When they reached the bottom of the stairs, they saw Zelmai's jowly face twisted into a knot of disapproval. He growled something under his breath and Rayla and Callum resumed a more reserved demeanour.

    "Good morning, Zelmai," said Callum, nodding at the sage old elf as he helped himself to some piping hot vegetables and sweet breads. They both had promised to reduce their displays of affection in front of Zelmai as they knew their new relationship was bothering the old codger.