Revive

I recommend listening to the video while reading! Enjoy

Well...my f-friend...we've had a good run haven't we?"

 Ash filled the air. Around him men were fighting and dying by the thousands, millions, in utter silence. The battle to end all battles, and he heard none of it. Naught of the clamor and the carnage and the pain of good men and bad men dying for folly causes. His focus lay solely on the frail broken form before him. The tiny woman of pale skin and wispy silver hair. His teacher. Mentor. Savior. His enemy. His Friend.What cruel twist of fate now saw them on opposing sides of this ravaged field. What cruel bent had warped their tightly held and most cherished beliefs and causes so much so to make lovers into fighters, had shattered their bonds and made them enemies of bitter circumstance. And what cruel gods would have foretold that the woman who had taught him everything he knew would now be struck down by his own cruel blow.Icy, blood-infused Mud soaked through his leggings where he keeled in the mire, but he didn't feel it. Bitter, stinging wind tore at his face, ripped at his hair, but he ignored it. Hot rain, thick with ash, washed filth down his face and into his eyes, but he didn't notice.He saw only those eyes. Eyes of crystal blue, glimmering with memories of forgotten laughter and better times left behind, light fading and life soon to follow. 

"Fitting we should...should find ourselves here...at the end?" 

"Do not speak. Its not over yet. I'm going to get you away from this place." 

She coughs...feebly attempting to raise a hand to her lips. "T-This place...is all there is. The world...b-burns...""I know a place where you'll be safe."

 He knelt over her, working his hands under her neck, her legs."P-please...my friend...my wounds are too grievous...I have not the strength-"

 "That never stopped us before" he grunted as he took the tiny woman into his arms and stood, turning his eyes past the carnage to the world beyond...to the light still shining there, hidden behind the black morass of ash and death. 

"There."She turned her head feebly "So far...H-how-"

 "Don't speak. One step at a time. Remember that?" He chuckledShe blessed him with the faintest of smiles "L...like dancing..." 

In that moment, in that place, as men murdered and were murdered in turn, and all good worldly sense was lost, their eyes met and the light and life that had once been theirs to cherish was made anew in their hearts. And he knew everything would turn out okay in the end. And the end, drawing near for this world they had hoped to build, would not find them for a good while yet. So long as they never stopped moving. One step at a time. 

"Like dancing."...