Master of Shadows

"Is that so..." I say as my foes look at me defiantly. "You want to kill me. Heh. It's not like I didn't expect this or anything. It's just, well, with this small army, I expected something more." 

"You know full well what else it is we want!" Carcelon, my old master, now my fiercest enemy, shouts. "We also want your power. But we can't extract it from you unless your body no longer has any life in it."

"Well, since I'm not prepared to die today, I guess I'll have to fight," I say, feigning a reluctance I didn't feel. In truth, I had been waiting for this day, the day when I could finally have a chance to fight Carcelon, after he left me for dead, severely wounded, out in the middle of the woods. Yet I survived, and trained on my own. I slowly draw my black-bladed sword from it's sheath, holding it at a downward angle. 

"Pfft. What good is a single sword against my 'small army,' as you say?" he asks, clearly unimpressed by the sight of my sword. But nervous murmurs start to emanate from the crowd before me. I grin, knowing what those whispers are about. 

"Oh," I say, now feigning surprise, "perhaps you don't recognize this blade? I'm sure you know about it." In truth, Carcelon was the one who told me about it. But he told me stories of many legendary blades. This one in particular, however, stuck in my memory. 

Carcelon now starts to look nervous, as if he's realizing what blade I hold. I tilt it slightly, to reflect the sunlight. Then, one of Carcelon's soldiers, the one closest to him, gasps. 

"It's the legendary blade, sir! The Sl-""The Sliver of Midnight." I finish for him. "Said to have been forged from the pieces of the night sky that supposedly few during the Void Nights 85 years ago." 

The crowd before me stirs in fear, mumbling and whispering of what they've heard the sword can do. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them at the back, where I can't see, just fled.

"Now," I say as I raise my sword above my head. "Let's see what it can do!"I begin swinging it around a bit, charging it's power, and with each stroke, the sky darkens as clouds appear until eventually, a bolt of black lightning streaks from the sky, hitting the tip of my blade as I thrust it point-first into the sky. Dark lightning begins flickering around my blade, and I stab it down into the ground. Then I raise my hand above my head. The dark energy my blade absorbed from the lightning steaks towards my hand from the pommel. Slowly, a sphere of dark energy begins to grow in my hand, eventually larger than me. I point my hand at the opposing army, and the dark sphere condenses itself, to the size of a grain of rice, before I blast it at my foes. Just as it impacts, gravity seems to shift towards the center of impact, the world blurs, and time seems to slow down. Then it explodes, darkness filling my vision, as the shock wave seems to reverse the pull of the dark energy. As the wind dies down and my vision clears, a large section of the army in on the ground, unconscious or dead. Carcelon, who somehow survived unscathed, looks at the devastation, then back at me. 

"How," he asks, clearly surprised and impressed at the carnage. 

"I believe I told you, right before you tried to kill me. I am, the Master of Shadows, and darkness is my weapon." 

I pull my sword from the ground and charge at the remains of the army.

Enjoy :) 

yeet