Scene II

[On the 6th floor in the hospital, nurses and doctors walk from room to room. Patients wonder around the halls, family members in various states of emotion sit in chairs outside of rooms. Enter Sadie, Vanessa, and Teresa.]

Teresa: Hey girls, thank-you for coming. Mark still hasn't woken up.

Sadie: Is he going to be okay?

Teresa: We don't know. He's on life support, in a coma.

Sadie: On no! Where's Simon? How's he taking it?

Teresa: He's down stairs getting a coffee. He's not taking it well.

Sadie: I should go find him, keep him company.

[Sadie walks to the elevators.]

Vanessa: Um...Mrs. Hart, I was wondering if I could see Mark?

Teresa: Of course! Were the two of you close?

Vanessa: Something like that.

[Teresa opens door to the hospital room with a click.]

Teresa: I'll let the two of you be.

Vanessa: Wait, can he hear me?

Teresa: The doctors say he can, dear.

Vanessa: Okay, thank-you.

[Teresa leaves. In Mark's Hospital room, Vanessa sits at his side.]

Vanessa: Hi, Mark. You probably don't remember me, but you've been a big part of my life. You see, you have been really mean to me. Let's list a few things shall we? Purposely bumping into me, calling me out in class for being a 'teacher's pet', threatening me with knives if I didn't do your homework, and let's not forget about you dumping food over my head in the middle of the cafeteria. You've been relentless for years. I don't want you to hurt anyone, the way you have me.

[Vanessa stands up from the chair and makes her way to the window.]

You know, you weren't supposed to survive that car accident, Mark. You were supposed to be pronounced dead at the scene. You don't deserve to live.

It's a shame though; your mother is really sweet. Your brother is too. Sadie will really have to help him through your real death.

[Vanessa makes her way to Marks life support switch, picking up the timer.]

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to set this timer for 15 minutes. Then I'm going to leave and when your family comes in, they will watch as the monitor suddenly goes blank.

[Vanessa now walks over to the door, timer now set and ticking down.]

Next time, don't treat people like dirt on your shoe. You never know how they'll react.

[Vanessa leaves the room.]