Chapter 1: Point Zero

Disclaimer: The Fate series and its respective characters belong to TYPE-MOON. All OCs are mine.

*******

"Time is such a valuable resource. It is something we take for granted, yet it slips through our fingers like grains of sand into the infinite stream of time, for some more so than others..."

Where... Where am I? How did I get here?

I know my eyes are open, and yet I can't see anything but complete darkness. I feel like I am sinking. No... I am sinking. I'm submerged in water and can't move my own body.

I try calling out to anyone that might hear me, but no words escape my mouth. I'm trapped in this state. Unable to breathe, unable to die.

If I could just let go and vanish into nothingness. Nothing I try can improve my current situation, and so I keep sinking deeper and deeper into the unknown. Is this how I'm going to die? Is this how my life will end? Will anyone remember me in 1, 5, or 10 years from now?

Doubtful. Will anyone mourn me? No, there's no one that I could think of.

Amidst all the questions, a light appears in the distance. It gives off a faint glow like the last glimmer of hope in a pit of despair. It's as if a higher entity has found me, deeming me worth saving. Or perhaps they are simply taking pity on me.

I continue to watch the light as I keep sinking. It's coming closer to me. Either that or it's getting brighter. I partially close my eyes as to not get blinded by its radiance. Then, I see a gentle hand reaching out to me.

Should I take it? Do I even deserve to be saved? These questions are pointless since I still can't move a muscle. All I can do is watch the hand come closer and when it almost touches me.

I wake up.

I open my eyes and stare at the ceiling of my apartment. It's a bit dusty and has some cobwebs in the corners. I don't bother with cleaning up very often since I never get any visitors. I sigh as I put a hand over my eyes and mutter to myself, "Another nightmare." I turn to the left and look at the clock next to my bed.

6:21 AM.

I can hear a light patter on the nearby window as I crawl out of bed. Pulling the curtains aside, I get a view of a rainy London with the Clock Tower not far in the distance. It's still a little early for me to head out but with bad weather like this, I kind of don't want to go at all today.

Nevertheless, I walk to the bathroom and go through my usual morning routine.

I splash cold water from the sink in my face to eliminate the last bit of sleepiness as I look at my reflection in the mirror. I put on a fake smile like I always do before meeting the usual lot at the Clock Tower. Every day, I ask myself why I even bother to continue like this. How long can I keep this up? What is even the purpose of all this? Of my life? I could always take the coward's way out, but I won't even though I have nothing to look forward to. Yes, I believe this is my punishment.

After finishing my morning routine and getting dressed, I grab my suitcase and an umbrella on the way out while taking a glance at my watch. 6:55 AM.

Nearly 20 minutes pass before I finally reach the Clock Tower. As I approach the entrance, I see a lot of students arriving as well. Students from all over the world from many mage families of different statuses, all wearing the Mage's Association uniform. One can tell just by a glance that they want to look as good as possible since the Clock Tower is the heart of the mage world. None of them would want to ruin their family's good name.

I get some questioning looks from a few students as I enter alongside them. I don't really mind nor do I blame them. After all, one could easily mistake me for one of them due to my age, but I don't wear the same uniform they do. Instead, I wear a black trench coat with a white dress shirt underneath.