Chapter 5: The Opening Shot

Jeanne D'Arc. A holy maiden whose name is known not just in her homeland of France, but throughout the world. She left her home at the age of 17 on a journey of salvation and ended up as a hero who saved France. However, she was burned at the stake at the age of 19 by the British.

It's crazy to think that the very same person is walking right next to me. I suppose that's just the nature of a Holy Grail War.

Her stats are very good. The Saber class isn't regarded as the strongest of the seven for nothing.

STR: B
AGL: A
LUK: C
END: B
MP: A
NP: A++

I'm well rested but that's because I woke up a little later than I wanted to. Thankfully, I have also been spared the nightmares this time around.

A little breeze blows by as we walk through the center of Fuyuki. It's noon now, so the city is bustling with people going about their business. We've been out for a few hours to get acquainted with Fuyuki and taking note of places of interest where one could set up a fight beforehand. Well, me more so than Jeanne.

She is rather fascinated with the modern-day world. The way her eyes light up and her lips part at all the marvelous inventions of modern technology or the skyscrapers and other lofty buildings that would have been impossible back in her day is reminiscent of a child on a field trip. I can't say I blame her though, I might probably do the same if I were in her position.

I glance over to her as we walk down the street. She insisted to accompany me in physical form instead of being in spirit form. So, we had to get her normal clothes as she can't just walk around in her battle dress in public for obvious reasons.

She's wearing a blue blazer with a white blouse underneath, a matching blue tie, short pants and thigh high stockings. She is walking while her braided ponytail swings behind her.

It was kind of funny to see the shop clerk's confused face when one person walked into the store but two walked out. I assured him that he must have just missed her walking in.

"Have you adjusted?" I ask.

"Yes. Although, I must admit: the first few hours after my summoning were strange," she says, her amethyst-colored eyes peering into mine. "It is quite surprising to be summoned as a Saber."

"In which class did you expect to be summoned, then?" I say. She looks down on her feet.

"A special class called Ruler," she responds. "It is one that-"

"Acts as an arbitrator during a Holy Grail War?" I interject.

"You have heard of it?" she says surprised.

"Yes, I've read about it a little when I was looking up the Avenger class during my research," I explain.

"Why were you researching the Avenger class? It is not a type of Servant that normally takes part in a Holy Grail War," she says.

"Looking it up while reading on the past Holy Grail War," I shrug. "Anyways, you've got a sword - why shouldn't you be a Saber?"

"I have no wish for the Grail," she tells me.

"You what?" I blurt out.

I thought only Servants that have some desire or wish for the Grail can be summoned in the first place. This might be a problem. I have no guarantee that she will give one-hundred percent to a Holy Grail War she has no stake in.

Jeanne, as if she read my mind, continues: "Don't worry, Master. Even if I do not have a wish, I will do everything to the best of my ability to help you. Remember that I made a vow to protect you and lead you to the right path."