2.1 Monsters and Magic

Sweet-scented winds rustled tall stalks of blue-green grass beneath our feet. Overhead, a full moon in a navy sky cast its silver glow on a herd of unicorns the same shade. Their horns were tall spires of white, their ethereal bodies shining like the heavens. The unicorns whinnied, nostrils blowing and black hooves stamping as they raced past, larger than life.

This world was pure art, with no frame or edges; the planes stretched on in every direction, no end in sight. There was only us and the unicorns, their manes whipping in the wind as they ran wild and free.

Dorian whistled and a unicorn broke from the herd, trotting our way. I was hesitant at first, but one nod from Dorian and my fingers skimmed the hairs along its soft, luxurious coat. The unicorn seemed to approve, tossing its beautiful head as Dorian climbed its back, extending his hand in welcome.

"No." I shook my head. "Absolutely not. No way."

Dorian chuckled. "Never fancied a ride on a unicorn? Not even when you were a little girl?"

"The world wasn't rainbows and puppies and unicorns when I was a little girl."

"It is now." He motioned with his head, urging me to join him.

Was I really going to give up the opportunity to ride a fucking unicorn?

I sighed. "Don't let me fall."

"Never."

Accepting his hand, I climbed behind him and held onto his waist, my chin on his shoulder as the horse came alive. I laughed, shrieking in joy and terror as the unicorn rose on its hind legs and whinnied. Then it took off, streaking alongside its brothers and sisters, racing across the vast plains.

We dismounted at the edge of a pond - a sparkling, glass-like body of water Shelby Cummings had painted at the edge of her art work

"That. Was. Amazing." I took Dorian's hand and he helped me from the unicorn's back. My feet felt like they were wading through water.

"You're a natural. If only the artist had painted them with wings."

"This place, it's so... real." I walked to the water's edge, in love with the moon's reflection on its rippling surface. "It's beautiful. But it doesn't  answer my questions." I turned back to face him; the unicorn dipped its head to drink from the bank. "How is this possible?"

"It shouldn't be." Dorian stuffed his hands in his pockets. "But I'm cursed. Eternal youth does have its disadvantages."

"So what happened between us last night - the dream that wasn't a dream? Was that one of your 'disadvantages'?"

"Yes. I would never hurt you, Amelia. But he would."

"He?"

"He is me and I am him. Yet we are not the same."