6.3 Truth and Consequences

Across the desk in my shiny, new office, a Jojo Siwa look-a-like smiled, blinking innocently back at me. According to her work, she was a complete and total psychopath. Her paintings were barbaric. Depraved. The stuff of nightmares. And exactly what Dark Dorian was looking for.

"Do you think Mr. Darkwater will approve?"

"Absolutely." I closed the catalog with a polite smile, sliding it back across the table. She picked it up, hugging it close. "We'll be in touch, Ms. Powell."

Squealing in happiness, Amanda showed herself out. As soon as the door closed, I leaned back in my seat with a heavy exhale, hands behind my head.

Since killing the hunters, Dark Dorian had already approved three new artists for display. Business was booming. The arrival of the mysterious, handsome, new gallery owner had brought new clients and patrons flocking. Drawing myself together, I rose from my seat and left the office, padding across the hall. On the way, I was stopped by a delivery man his ball cap pulled low over his eyes.

He spoke in a gruff, hurried voice. "Delivery for Mr. Darkwater."

In a hurry, I signed for the package and took the small box from his hands. We parted ways and I continued down the hall, knocking sharply on Dark Dorian's door.

"In!"

Since the fight with his double, the furniture had been replaced and the artwork restored, with no trace of the violence left behind. A few clever paintings of ATM's had been added, ensuring Dark Dorian's access to unlimited funds and luxury. Inside the office, Dark Dorian leaned back in his chair. The moment I entered, Jane the Intern lifted her head from his lap, crawling from under his desk to straighten her pencil skirt.

"We'll continue this later, shall we?"

"Of course, Mr. Darkwater." Head low, she avoided my murderous gaze as she scurried past me to the door.

Dark Dorian chuckled, zipping his slacks as he rose.

"The intern? Really?" I scoffed. "You're cliché. And disgusting."

His dark gaze twinkled with mischief. "Does it make you uncomfortable, luv? Or does it make you jealous?"

"It makes me sick. Here. This came for you." I dropped the package on his desk, arms folded as he proceeded to open the box. "Amanda Powell just left. Would you like to see her work before I add her to payroll?"

"Why? You've proven your adeptness at the job. I trust you entirely." He winked. "Not that I've completely forgiven your betrayal."

"What betrayal?"

Dorian paused, the flaps of the box hanging open. "You destroyed your paintings. Not to mention summoning hunters--you and your little friends got in my way. Didn't I say there'd be consequences?"

"Like what?"

"Like..." A devious smile spread across his face. "That party you were invited to, the one at the lake--you're going."

A chill ran down my spine. "Why?"

Dark Dorian tapped his nose. "Spoilers."

"I hate you."

"That's what makes it fun." Smirking, his hands took a dive in the box, spilling foam peanuts as he retrieved a bottle of champagne. "Hmph. What's this?"

I shrugged. "No return address." I took a seat at the edge of his desk. "Must be a gift from another thrilled client."

"Thanks to your hard work." He inspected the bottle's label. "Taittinger--splendid year. Shall we celebrate?"