7.2 Cat and Canary

When Leo contacted Opal complaining that a supernatural force had invaded the trailer park, I was relieved when she called me to help patrol. Now that I knew Dorian using his powers for good only fed his demonic side, I couldn't risk him sticking his neck out to save us, again. While his sacrifices made Dark Dorian stronger, they made me weak.

"Thanks for calling," I said, hands in my pockets as we strolled the quiet streets of the park. Midnight in Haven Court was eerie, but not as eerie as the thought of me being a hunter. "Why did you call?"

Opal shrugged, eyes peeled for trouble as she glanced behind us. "When you look into the void, it looks back at you. You know supernaturals exist, now they know you exist too. You must learn to protect yourself. So one day, when you are undoubtedly eaten, I will be able to say I did everything I could."

"Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I guess." The streetlamp above flickered as we past. "Uh, so, what exactly are we looking for again?"

"Black-Eyed People. No one knows where they come from or why they're here. But they are evil, so it is my job to vanquish them."

"Evil. Vanquish. Check." I nodded, like I knew exactly what the hell I was doing. "An-n-n-n-d how do we do that?"

Opal rummaged in her backpack. "Sodium and holy water will keep them back," she said, passing me a water bottle and a container of salt. "And my angel blade will return them to wherever they came from." Exactly like magic, Opal unsheathed a silver, glowing sword from a scabbard that didn't exist, showing off as she twirled the blade.

"Holy smokes. Do I get one of those?"

"No. Walk."

I followed Opal, watching her re-sheath the sword. "Have you ever tried that on Dorian?"

Opal stopped short. "I have tried many swords on Dorian Gray."

"Ope, it wasn't just my life he saved on the yacht. He saved yours too. And when his demonic side trapped you in the winter painting, he refused to leave without you. He's changed."

"He killed the love of my life!" she replied, taking an angry step forward.

I nodded. "Yes, he did. But he's not asking for your forgiveness. I am."

Opal clucked. "You have some nerve."

"A drop or two is all it takes."

She sighed - then stiffened, her gaze trained over my shoulder. "We have company."

I turned. Down the street, a lone figure watched us from beneath a flickering lamp post, still as a statue. If not for the solid black eyes, the pale skin, and haunting expression, it could have been anyone at all - someone I went to school with, someone's brother, someone's friend.

"He's a monster," said Opal, unsheathing her sword once again. "If he gets past me, don't let it touch you--run. Understand?"

"My inner coward is on standby," I replied, fingers raised in Scout's Honor.

"Good. Now watch and learn."

Opal set off down the street, swinging her angel blade with another expert flourish. I watched, impressed by the way she handled the sword, parrying the creature's blows while avoiding it's touch. Other hunters may have given Opal a hard time for letting Dorian Gray slip through her fingers, but no one could say she wasn't a master in her field. She was magnificent.

"Home. Can you take me home?" I turned, starting in surprise at the figure standing behind me. It was just a child, maybe four or five. A pale little girl with a moon face and black eyes, clutching a teddy bear. "Please take me home. Please."