Chapter 20

It had been a month since the dragons had left. The air was already beginning to get colder. Still, you and Hiccup were happy. You had talked to his mother to see what she thought about the new main thing everyone was wondering. Valka said that you both were meant for each other, but ultimately, it was up to both of you.

You were in your room, your brothers having helped you and Hiccup build a house of your own. They were fast workers. Everyone had to be now that the weather was getting colder. You and Hiccup did share a room, but it wasn't abnormal for you. Still, Hiccup was out helping with more of the construction and you were lost in thought. Is it time? You sighed heavily. You needed to go for a walk and think.

You left the house, leaving a note for Hiccup should he find you gone and begin to worry. You traveled out into the forest, walking alone and letting your thoughts roam. You kept walking until you heard a shrill cry. You paused.

"What...what was...?" You looked around. The noise came again. You hurried toward it and you were stunned. It was a little pup. He looked new and very frail. A late birth. The mother must've abandoned it, knowing it wouldn't have enough milk to sustain it through the winter. 

Then you heard a hiss. You turned and saw a snake creeping toward it. The pup kept whining, calling for its mother and completely unaware of the danger. You gasped. You looked around for anything you could use. You saw a large stone. You quickly grabbed and it got ready. The snake rose up, getting ready for the kill. You heaved the rock and sent it flying right onto the snake. It crushed its head and the tail of the reptile went limp. You swooped in swiftly and rescued the little wolf. You rushed back through the forest as took him home to the village, away from the dangers of the forest.

You took him inside and got him cleaned up. His eyes opened after you dried him off. He had one blue eye and one golden eye. Your heart melted. He yipped at you and you quickly got him something to eat. You gave him some water and some of the fish you had in the house. He took it greedily. You were glad he was eating it. You'd cut and mashed it up as best you could so he wouldn't have to chew. He couldn't really tare into things yet.

You heard the front door open. You looked up, your heart skipping a beat. What were you going to say? 'Hey, I just picked up a wolf in the woods. No big deal, right?' Yeah, that sounded like a good idea.

"(Y/n)! I'm back, sweetheart!" You knew you couldn't hide it from him. 

"In the kitchen, Hiccup!" He came in and saw the pup. His face fell. "I can explain." You said, picking up the little guy. He looked at you and nodded, clearly not wanting to get upset with you. You felt reassured by that. "I went for a walk and found him all alone. He almost got killed by a snake. I saved his life." Hiccup thought about it. He sighed.

"(Y/n)...it won't replace them." You nodded.

"I know that, but now...he needs us. Doesn't he deserve a chance too?" He smiled at you. He walked over and pet the little pup.

"Of course he does." You smiled.

"So, we're keeping him?" Hiccup chuckled.

"If that's what you want, then I won't stop you. I probably couldn't if I tried anyway." You giggled.

"Can't argue with that one." He rolled his eyes.

"Let's find him a place to sleep. Little guy looks pretty tired." As if on cue, the pup yawned and snuggled into your arms. You laid out a blanket on the floor and fixed it into a circular bed. You placed the baby wolf inside and he gladly snuggled into it. Hiccup chuckled.

"He is cute." You smiled and nodded.

"Yeah." 

"So, you found him, what are you going to name him?" You looked at him. You smiled as you got an idea. "Arctic."