39: In My DNA

As I climbed the rocks back to the house at Paradise City, there was a spring in my step that hadn't been there since I first fell in love with the ocean. People had their own charm to them, but I was born for the ocean, and I was more than okay with that.

The skin on my shoulders, face, and legs burned each time they brushed against my clothes or the wind, but my heart was filled with pride of my new opportunity, even though I didn't have all the details quite yet. But that didn't matter. I had found my calling, and no one could take it away from me.

I opened up the front door, and as I headed into the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of Logan sitting on the couch.

He deserved to know first. He supported me and worked with me, and it felt only right to share my success with him. He was watching something on his computer, but it could wait. Everything else in the entire world could wait. When I pictured my happy place, it was just him, me, and the whales, and that was all I could see in that moment.

Before he could ask me how the trip was, I stood right in his way and kissed him.

"Seems like you had a good time. How many whales?" Logan asked with a smile.

"Not a single one," I replied with a smile of my own.

Logan rose an eyebrow, but before he could ask about it, a voice roared from behind me.

"Reagan," Darrell shouted. "I thought—I thought you chose to abide by Rule Number One of Paradise City."

I reached for my mouth and looked up as my heart sunk into my stomach. Of course, the one time I decided to ignore everything in the room, everyone in the entire house was with Logan. I didn't even think most of them liked him. He was kind of rude, after all.

"I, uh, did, but that rule sucked, so I decided to not follow it anymore," I said.

"What is wrong with you? Did you just think I told you about Mona for no real reason? This is going to end up a disaster, and when your life comes crashing down, I don't want to hear a single whine from you. I tried to warn you. And with Logan, of all people? That's literally the worst combination I could ever even imagine," Darrell said.

"Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler would probably be worse," Logan said. "Rea, look at you. You look like you're about to start singing Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid."

Brett laughed. "Or tell us Bible stories with all your vegetable friends."

"I think it's sunburn," Carter said.

I nodded. "I forgot sunscreen this morning, and now everything hurts, but I'll be okay."

"I told you. This is exactly what you deserve for not following the single rule I put into place," Darrell said.

"The single rule?" I asked. "What about all the other ridiculous ones?"

"It's the single rule because it requires that you remain single the entire duration of the summer. It's not that difficult to understand, and it's especially not difficult to understand why it's in place," Darrell replied.

I let out a huff. "Well, I'm sorry, but this doesn't affect you, and I'd prefer it if we just dropped the subject."

"We'll discuss it later after you get some aloe on those burns. It'll blister if you don't," Darrell said.

I held up a finger. "No, we're not going to discuss it ever. Besides, this is a two-way street, and Logan is just as much to blame for this as I am, if not more. He was the one that said he liked me first."

Darrell turned to Logan. "Why? Why her of all people?"

Logan shrugged. "She's cute, she's sweet, and she's got a pearl of a heart. Nothing like me or you."