sleep

tw // mention of school shootings, trauma, death, blood, nightmares

It was a warm summer night- the full moon shining brightly through the sheer curtains. The wind blew softly, making them flutter up and down occasionally.

Suddenly, Gerard woke up from a nightmare, sweating and gasping for air. He tried to fall back asleep, but he couldn't. He laid next to frank, tossing and turning through another restless nightmare. He sighed, hoping he'd be able to fall back asleep again without having another episode.

"Babe, go to sleep." Frank muttered sleepily, turning towards the window.

"Sorry, I'll try" He replied, sighing.

He closed his eyes again, but all he saw was his nightmares.

"Frank, I keep having bad nightmares every time I close my eyes." Gerard mumbled, a lump growing in his throat.

When he closed his eyes, all he saw were dead bodies dropping to the ground, blood spurting from them as they slammed on the tile. He fell to the ground, playing dead, hoping that the others were too. They weren't. They were only 16 or 17 and they never got to live their life to the fullest. Screams, bullets, loud booms, running, and crying played in his head like a record stuck on repeat. He could never forget that day. He could never forget about almost losing Frank.

"FRANK, he's going to shoot me! He's gonna shoot you!!!" Gerard screamed while thrashing, tears in his eyes.

Frank snapped awake, looking over at him. He rolled over, seeing why he was screaming. Then, it clicked in his head. It was another nightmare. He felt so bad. He couldn't help Gerard at all.

"Babe, it's just a nightmare. It's okay. You're okay. I'm here. It's just a bad dream. You'll be okay." Frank said beside him. He knew Gerard was sensitive to touch during and after his nightmares, so he was very careful not to touch him.

"I can't do this anymore! It should've been me who died, not them! It's all my fault!" Gerard cried.

At this point, Frank was surprised Gerard's parents haven't woken up yet. They usually did when he had bad nightmares.

"Gee, it's not your fault. You're so strong and I love you so much. You didn't do anything to cause what happened."

He calmed down slightly, snapping out of the worst part of his nightmare. Gerard finally opened his eyes, seeing the worried look on Frank's face.

"Babe, I'll be right back. I'm going to grab you a cup of water and your medicine, okay?"

Gerard sniffled in response as Frank walked away. He cringed seeing the bullet shaped scar on Frank's left shoulder.

He came back, setting the pills and water on the nightstand. Gerard took his medicine, swallowing it down with one sip of water.

"Hey, do you want to cuddle? Would that maybe make you feel better?" Frank asked, knowing he got a bit sensitive to touch after these types of things.

"Yes please." He mumbled, scooting to Frank.

He wrapped his arms around Frank, enjoying the warmth.

They fell asleep, knowing that in the end everything would eventually be okay.