Speak

Author's Note:
Hurray I updated again! I'm sorry it took so long, I honestly didn't have any motivation (Yeah I know, again) but today I decided that I should try and update.
So, this is an AU where Keith is a mute 10 year old who's father had died a few years back and he has some trouble coping so he gets a dog!

It had been two years since the accident. Two years since Keith had smiled or even laughed. Two years since Keith had seen his father. Two years since Keith had felt the wind knocked out of him as the car holding the Kogane family had slammed into the truck that took his father's life and Keith's happiness. Two years since Keith had spoken at all.

Keith's family had only consisted of him and his Father, Heith Kogane. So when Heith's life was taken--Keith had no one.

Keith had no relatives and no one who wanted to take him under their wing. So not surprisingly, the boy was sent into the foster care system.

It wouldn't be a shock to anyone who knew the Foster Care System that Keith hated the place, and that fact didn't help Keith recover any more than the therapy did.

Therapy, Keith had been attending Therapy sessions with a man named Takashi Shirogane, or Shiro as he liked to be called. Shiro had been trying to make Keith open up for over a year and nothing had worked--at least not until....

"Shiro!" A white haired girl with dark skin exclaimed excitedly as she entered Shiro's small office.

Shiro looked up from his papers to give the girl a welcoming smile. "Oh hey Allura, what made you so excited?" The man asked as the girl approached him.

"Remember that kid who went through that car accident?" Allura asked. Her pale sparkly blue eyes seemed to shine with excitement.

Shiro let out a dry and bitter laugh, "I remember a lot of kids who went through accidents." He said before adding with a sigh, "Unfortanetely."

"Right, right, I mean that kid you've been so focused on helping."

"What do you mean by that? I am very focused on helping all the kids that come here. Why would I give someone special attention? Are you trying to say that I'm playing favorites, eh?"

"What? No, no, no, that's not what I mean." Allura said quickly, "I meant...that boy who hasn't spoken at all." She explained.

Shiro's deep grey eyes immediately flashed with recognition. "Keith." He said grimly. Shiro always felt his mood sadden at the mention of the young boy. Keith was one of his earliest patients and Shiro hated that he still hadn't found a way to help him.

"Yeah, him!" Allura agreed, quickly nodding her head. "The local animal shelter wanted to help out. They emailed me yesterday and offered to give us some of the animals to help the children. So I was wondering if you wanted to take Keith there next time you had a session with him and let him pick one of them." She explained.

"That's a great idea Allura." Shiro said, now just as excited as the woman. This could be a major help!

Allura nodded, looking quite pleased with herself. "I know." She said with a smile.

_____________________________________________________

Keith didn't understand what was happening. He had been woken up extra early in the morning by some workers. They kept saying something about "free animals" and the "Mute kid" who Keith guessed was himself.