Chapter 6

Most would probably be ashamed or embarrassed by the events that happened last night. But I wasn't most people. I was used to taking lovers I met from the bar to a hotel room. They would appear again, and I would continue as if nothing happened. That's exactly what I did now.

Everyone was eerily quiet. We were all packing and trying to figure out a game plan.
Ryder kept tossing me smiles. Kaito would stare with that annoyingly understanding stare. Rowan... well he was avoiding me. Typical male. I tossed a few water bottles in my old backpack.

Kaito had cracked the door and shot the three wandering biters. We searched all the vehicles. I had my backpack. Ryder, his from school. We had to break into Blaise's car. Tucker and Ethan's trucks were obviously gone. All in all, we had four back packs between us and three large purses. There were a few jackets in the lost and found. We also managed to come across a heavy duty flashlight that could probably knock someone senseless if enough force was behind the swing.

Everyone was in agreement that Angel should hold on to it. I was in possession of the bat again. It would also serve as a cane if need be. Big John had his skillet, Rowan his knives, Ryder took a crow bar that was in my Jeep, and Kaito had his crossbow. Samantha and Angel were in charge of our water and meager medical supplies, although most of us carried a few bottles of water. Of course, there was no toilet paper. Gross.

I slipped my backpack over my shoulders and waited for everyone else to finish. It didn't take long. We didn't have much. I took a seat at a table, Angle following my lead, then one by one all the nearby seats were filled.

Rowan was the only one left standing. "Okay, lets go over the plan one more time. Kaito will take out the two new biters that have made their way to the front of the building, after that, everyone will head towards their designated vehicle." Rowan paused to give me an irritated look.

We had butted heads earlier on who was driving my vehicle. I told him I was driving, that no one else was allowed. I knew I was still healing from a concussion, but no one knew the importance of my Jeep to me. It was selfish and irrational, I knew that, but I wasn't backing down on this.

Our heated argument is most likely what caused the biters to appear, and we probably would have argued all day if Kaito hadn't interrupted and signed something to Rowan. Whatever he'd signed had made Rowan's face burn red and walk away. I needed to learn how to sign. I didn't like the feeling of not knowing.

My internal musings ended when the scrape of chairs echoed around me. I must have zoned out while Rowan finished repeating the plan. Good thing I already had it memorized.

Angel and I would take my Jeep. It could only sit two, and since she had some of the medical supplies with her, she was to keep an eye on me. I also think that if there was a chance I could still turn, she was the most expendable, but I wasn't about to voice that out loud.

Kaito and Rowan were to take Rowan's square body Ford. Ryder, Big John, and Samantha were to take Ryder's newer model SUV. We had decided as a group that Rowan would lead with Ryder then me following.

My Jeep was small enough to squeeze through tight corners if we became trapped in the back. Ryder's Tahoe would not hold up to any impact and still be able to drive away. At least, not as well as Rowan's red 1976 F250 with an upgraded bumper.

His truck was a beauty. I hated the thought of him ruining it, but it was our survival or the truck's. I huddled by the door waiting with everyone else. My grip was tight on the straps of my bag.