Chapter 15

I almost moaned in pure pleasure as the hot water beat down my back. I only had ten minutes, but I would soak up those minutes down to the last second. I had first washed my black jeans and my white tank top. There wasn't any clothes in the store that fit me well enough. A couple of t-shirts that were made for big trucker men. Good enough to maybe sleep in, but probably get in the way if I was running from a biter or worse, a human.

I could hear three other showers running as Lola, Shenae, and Mia took up space in the other stalls. Lola had been ecstatic over the news of a hot shower. I chuckled to myself thinking about how she had jumped up off her cot with the energy of a twenty year old, Sweetie Bell tumbling from her lap in the process. Benji and Pops had cheered.

Cerberus and Sweetie Bell were laying by the door, as if to guard it from anyone entering while us women were naked and vulnerable. My shower cut off just as I was finishing rinsing. I sighed in disappointment. It was nice while it lasted.

I dried off and stuck my damp clothes back on, thankful to be smelling better than I had in awhile. Maybe they had some baby wipes laying around so we could freshen up some while on the road.

Shenae stalked past me without saying a word. She was pissed I had left her brother after the explosion, and I couldn't blame her for wanting to be mad. I was mad at myself.

I tried running my fingers through my hair, but I was so knotted from being in a sloppy braid for so long. It was starting to dread in some parts. I've seen horrible things happen since the outbreak. People coming back from the dead. People eating each other. Attempted male on male rape. Yet, it's the thought of my hair and the possibility of shaving it all off that almost brings me to tears.

Maybe there's a brush laying around somewhere. Who am I trying to kid? It's been non stop on the go since day one. Who had time for self care? It was a wonder that I even remembered to take the vitamins every day.

I tossed me hair over my shoulder and headed out. Taking a deep breath, I prepared myself to ask one of the guys to find some scissors and chop it off. A faint buzzing sound came from the corner. Xavier stood over Chogan, touching up the Native American's Mohawk.

Even better. Instead of a botched scissor job, I could just shave it all off. My stomach rolled. I steadied myself against a wall before squaring my shoulders and marching towards the men. It seemed as if Pops and Benji had already gone under the shaver.

Benji swiveled in my direction. "Hi Hawt! I gots a new do." I hadn't had time to really get to know Benji, but him knowing my exact footsteps was a little eery.

I grinned and nodded, then almost slapped myself. "Looks really nice, Benji. You look like a prince."

"Awww Pops said I looked like a wawwiow. Like you." His smile turned down in the corners.

"A what?"

"A warrior. He wanted to be a warrior like you." Xavier came up behind me. He had finished with Chogan's hair.

My skin tingled a bit standing this close to him. I didn't look at him, but continued to grin and watch Benji. Pops or someone had made him a sword out of old, empty toilet paper rolls. He was swinging the cardboard around pretending to chop off the heads of zombies.

I really shouldn't find it amusing, as a boy his age shouldn't have to grow up in a world like this. At least he wasn't able to see the monsters of this world.

Xavier bumped my arm, causing me to snap out of my endless thoughts. This time, I turned and met those beautiful amber eyes that had caught my attention the first time we had met. How could I be so disgruntled by someone yet still want to fuck them senseless?