Chapter 3 Best Buds & Odd moments

Mari's P.O.V

The drive back home was embarrassing. I kept my head in my hands and refused to look up or even in the direction of Toonz.

Hearing the news about me being laid off obviously upset her, but I had no idea she would do what she did.

-Flashback-

Walking past the Pretzel shop brought me to my worst fear. There along one of the tables sat Toonz. I started to panic as I stood there, not sure on how she'll take the news.

Though, breaking free from my self conflict, I started to walk over to where Toonz sat. And as I came closer to the table and in view of Toonz, she began smirking at me, raising her eyebrows a few times.

"Mind telling me who that was?" She says, stuffing a pretzel in her mouth.

My face went red in embarrassment.

She seen.

"I-Uh.. He-"

She raised her eyebrow at my stuttering. Obviously knowing that something wasn't right.

"He was my boss" I finally managed to get out. She smiled at me and patted the seat next to her, asking me to sit.

"You know, it surely did look like he was more than just your boss, sweetie" She replied, throwing a pretzel bite my way.

"Oh, shut up" I say blushing a little more while throwing it back at her.

"So, anything you want to talk about? I'm free for a good hour before I have to go back in" Toonz stated as she checked her watch.

"Well uh.. I got a call today an-"

"You got a call? From who? Was it a boy?" She said quickly, sounding happier as she asked the last question.

"No!" I say reaching over to cover her mouth. She only licked my hand, making me let go.

"You taste like hot chips"

"Toonz, stop" I say now laughing.

"Sorry sorry, but please go on, you had a call about what?"

"Well the lady at the entrance at my work.." She seemed to be completely intrested in what I had to say. She left her food alone and gave her attention to me.

I was scared to finish my sentence, yet I continued on, wanting to get this off my chest.

"She..called me to say that I am being laid off" I say quickly, talking quietly throughout my reply.

Toonz immediately stood up, anger being evident in her eyes.

"YOU WERE WHAT?"

"They fired me.." I say looking down.

I was embarrassed having to say that. I hated the situation already, and seeing Toonz reaction made it all the worse.