Chapter 7

- Jedi settlement outside of Theed -

As Obi-Wan and Leia arrived back at the Jedi settlement, Obi-Wan felt a pit in his stomach as he mentally prepared himself to meet the steely resentment of Padmé's reaction to Vader's request.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi!!!" the voice of a certain strong-willed woman shouted.

Obi-Wan turned around to see a very, very angry Padmé. What did he do wrong now?

"Where in the galaxy have you been with my daughter?!" Padmé demanded, shoving a finger in Obi-Wan's face.

Of course, Leia did not ask her mother about going to Theed. Obi-Wan thought, before responding. "She accompanied me to the royal palace. I was under the impression that you had granted her permission to do so."

"Well, you were under the wrong impression!" Padmé retaliated before turning to Leia, grabbing hold of her. "What made you think you could just go to Theed without asking me first??"

"I'm sorry mama," Leia stuttered, her chocolate brown eyes brimming with tears. "I just forgot..."

And it was those big, teary, chocolate brown eyes that dissolved Padmé's anger. She lightened her harsh grip on the little girl and pulled Leia into a hug.

"Leia, Leia, it's alright honey. I was just worried about you that's all." Padmé stroked Leia's back as she comforted her daughter. "But next time remember to come and ask me first. Even if you are going with Uncle Ben. Do you understand?"

Leia nodded as the two pulled away from one another. Obi-Wan, who still stood beside the two, cleared his throat as he cherished the last remaining moments of a gentle Padmé.

"About our trip to the palace..." Obi-Wan began, only to be interrupted by Padmé.

"No no no. The matter has been settled, both of you are forgiven." Padmé straightened up, took Leia by the hand, and began to walk towards her tent. "It is getting late, so I must put the twins to bed. And I'm sure you have matters you must tend to. I wouldn't like to keep you waiting. Good night Obi-Wan."

And just like that, Padmé and Leia had disappeared beyond the first row of tents, leaving a speechless and confused Obi-Wan behind. He wasn't quite sure what to do, Vader had demanded that Padmé be brought to him. But when Padmé made up her mind to drop a matter, the matter was most certainly dropped. Obi-Wan sighed...this was going to be a long night.

---------------------

The next morning, Obi-Wan Kenobi awoke to the sound of screaming. Well, playful screaming. It sounded as if Luke and Leia were having one of their lightsaber duels, and perhaps one had lost a limb again.

So Obi-Wan rolled off his bed of blankets, pulled on his boots and threw on his robe, and exited his tent. Outside, it was as he guessed: the twins were at it once again, swinging sticks and dodging one another. And it appeared that Luke was down one arm as he held his left one behind his back.

"Good morning, Obi-Wan." Padmé greeted him, walking over and handing him a steaming bowl of porridge. "Hungry?"

"Why yes, thank you." Obi-Wan replied. He took the bowl from Padmé, blew on it and took a spoonful, before saying. "The twins seem to be having a good time this morning."

"Yes, they are. Well, at least Leia is," Padmé chuckled. "Luke certainly wishes he hadn't lost his arm so early in the fight."

"Yes, that is quite understandable." Obi-Wan laughed. The bowl of porridge still in his hands, though it was much too hot to continue eating at the moment. "Now about yesterday..."

"Obi-Wan, I am no longer upset about you taking Leia to the palace." Padmé interrupted, turning to look at Obi-Wan. "You don't need to bring it up anymore."

"It isn't about that, Padmé. It is something else." Obi-Wan set his porridge down on a wooden bench that sat outside his tent. "When I arrived at the palace yesterday, the queen had another guest there too. Leia did not see that guest until a while after we arrived, as she was being watched by the queen's handmaidens in a different room. But, as young children can sometimes be unpredictable, Leia barged in on the dinner meeting between the queen, her other guest, and myself."

"Who was the other guest?" Padmé questioned. She was fully engaged in the conversation now. Though the twins were still nearby, locked in a fierce stick saber duel.

Obi-Wan cleared his throat and readied himself for Padmé's reaction. "The queen's other guest was...Emperor Vader."

"What?!" Padmé was shocked. She did not know how to respond. She looked from Obi-Wan to the children, back to Obi-Wan. "You're telling me that Anakin is here and he knows that Leia is alive and well and currently living on this planet?!"

"Yes," Obi-Wan said, barely able to meet Padmé's eyes. "And he knows that both you and Luke are here as well."

"WHAT?!"

"I'm sorry Padmé, I never intended for this to happen." Obi-Wan replied, finally looking directly at her. "He has also requested for you to be brought to him by this afternoon."

"He wants to see me?" Padmé didn't quite know how to feel. "And he thinks I'm just going to come running back into his arms again? After betraying me twice?! I'm sorry Obi-Wan, but Anakin has truly gone mad this time and I want nothing to do with it."

With that, Padmé turned around and marched off towards her own tent, wrecked with a tidal wave of emotions, pulling her in every direction. Obi-Wan stood there and watched her walk away. He then turned and watched Luke and Leia battle it out—Leia now with only one arm—unsure of what to do. Will I be able to convince Padmé to go back to the palace with me? Or will we just have to wait for Vader, in all his anger, to come knocking?

.

.

.

A/N: And there you have it, Chapter 7. What did you guys think?? Just to let you know, I do have the rest of the book planned out and I hope to have it finished by the end of February. 

Merry Christmas!!! I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday! Did anyone get a cool Star Wars gift??

Oh, and who has seen "Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker" ??? I saw it on December 20th and it was pretty good but it took me a while to process what I had watched. 

God bless!!

~ Sara Wingfeather :D