Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 2: Everybody Wants to Rule the World

it's my own desire / it's my own remorse

so glad we almost made it

nothing ever lasts forever / everybody wants to rule the world

***

The main office is in a tall, sleek skyscraper at the heart of downtown Toronto. As I walk into the shining lobby at quarter to eight, my heart flutters in my chest.

The security guard's name-tag says "Sid," and he nods me through when I flash my employee ID. I slide into the packed elevator, pressing for the fifteenth floor. My pulse feels quick beneath my flushed skin. No need to be so nervous, Mel.

I stand straight and carry my bag with purpose when the elevator doors slide open. My first glimpse at the office proves that this is going to be everything I imagined, and more.

Even before eight in the morning, the building has a pulse. Behind the administration desk, a clear glass panel gives a view of the bustling newsroom—broad, modern desks overflowing with loose paper; people typing away furiously, eyes glued to their computers, already high on copious amounts of caffeine.

It even smells good, like fresh ink and coffee.

I check in at the front desk. The receptionist's name is Danielle, and she's bubbly and cheerful. "Our managing editor, Ms. Lowry, will be meeting with the new staff at 8:30 in the conference room. She'll provide you with a brief orientation. In the meantime, please make yourself comfortable, Melanie." She gestures to a waiting area near reception and I give her a polite thank-you.

I sink down into the soft white leather couch, my heels digging into a fluffy grey rug. I'm early.

A woman with rich dark hair and golden-brown skin checks in with Dani. She looks about my age, dressed in a perfectly cut suit, pants pressed to perfection. I start to think she might be a colleague of mine, and my suspicions are confirmed when she makes her way over to where I'm sitting.

I realize that the people I work with are going to be my biggest competition, or my strongest allies. The woman sitting across from me offers me a small smile.

I guess I can use all the friends I can get.

"I'm Melanie," I introduce, extending a hand. "Are you one of the new hires, too?"

Her grip is firm, and her smile is sincere and genuine. "Steph," she says. "And yes, I am." A small shake of her head. "I am also so nervous that I might faint before the day even begins."

A laugh escapes my mouth. "Tell me about it. I barely slept last night."

We start talking and don't stop. She tells me about her schooling in the States, I tell her about my internship at the Times. She's easy to talk to, and her sarcasm and dry wit is refreshing and entertaining.

Soon, we're joined by two men, also new journalists. Ryan is very tall, and nearly trips over the rug as he sits. I hide a grin at his awkwardness. Ashton is quiet. Dirty blonde hair and dark eyes, exceptionally well-groomed. He doesn't say much, and barely smiles.

So far so good, I guess. Ryan, Steph and I chat and laugh and exchange stories. Ashton says little, mostly just listens. By the time my watch reads 8:15, I feel like I've known Stephanie forever.

"So," she says confidingly, leaning closer. At some point, she came to sit next to me on the couch. "I've heard that our new boss is legendary."

The curiosity must be evident on my face. Stephanie, I've learned, is full of news and gossip. "Legendary how?" I did my research, but there is surprisingly little information online about the editor-in-chief of The Press.