Peace Serum - Tobias Eaton

I grit my teeth, hating every moment of our time here. The friendliness and peace, careless people going about their day as though war doesn't exists. We know better though. The recent days have forced Tobias and I to abandon our Faction, to fight, to kill. Images of Will crumpling to the ground, struck by the bullet fired be me flood my mind, staggering my breaths. I shake my head, I can't let grief overtake me now. I must be strong, not just for myself but for Tobias.

He should be back soon, I can't imagine his meeting with Johanna taking much longer. She had to expect conflict between us, we're Dauntless after all, trapped in a optimistic hell amongst people we hate most in this world: Marcus, Peter. I let a small smile form on my face at the image of Peter cowering at the feet of Tobias, his hands covering his head as he begged for mercy. We have both been strung so tight since arriving here, it was only a matter of time before one of us snapped.

I think of the secrets we keep with each other, and from each other. Wondering if he will be able to forgive me, for what I have done, for what I am-Deadly.

I am dragged from my thoughts by the sound of my name being shouted obnoxiously loud. Tobias jogs towards me, waving like we are strangers meeting for the first time. "Tris... Tris! I am so happy I've found you." He smiles widely, exposing his teeth, a type of smile I've never seen before on him.

"Tobias." I hiss. "What the hell is the mater with you?" He frowns at my tone.

"That's not very nice, Tris." His frown quickly disappears as he leans down to kiss me. I lose myself for a moment, clasping on to his strong shoulders to steady myself as his soft lips touch mine. The recent harrowing days have left little time for us to be alone, a small sentiment that I have missed.

"You're so pretty Tris." He grins, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"What did they do to you, you're acting like a lunatic." He laughs deeply, a sound so foreign from him I am almost shocked. I need to get to the bottom of this, to find out what they have done to him.

I offer my hand to him which he happily takes, swinging our arms so hard as we walk my shoulder jerks back. "Tobias! Stop it! We need to go see Johanna." He just giggles. "Oh for Gods sake." I snap at him, dragging him along. The small amount of distance takes and absurd amount of time to walk as Tobias stops to observe animals and plants, commenting on how beautiful the world is. This man is driving me insane, I become more and more tempted to leave him to roll in the flowers and make small talk with the birds.

"We're here to see Johanna." I bark to the two Amity men placed outside of her door. Tobias smiles giddily at them, thanking them for their assistance. I roll my eyes, pulling him harshly into her office instructing him to sit and keep his mouth shut. He frowns sadly and nods at my harshness, reminding me that I am prettier when I am kind.

Johanna looks startled at our entrance, eyeing Tobias curiously. "What the hell did you do to him." I hiss at her. She looks unsurprised with my tone and language.

"He was administered peace serum after his altercation with Peter, it helps calm the mind and body. He wasn't reacting so they injected him a second time, it must have been too much. It will wear off within a few hours." Her voice is soft and and gentle, almost soothing.

"How dare you! Is this why everyone is so damn happy around here? They're high?"

"You're welcome to leave at any time if you do not like our rules. The same protocol would have been used on our own people as well. If you wish to remain free of the peace serum though, I suggest you don't eat the bread." I scowl at her knowing I had ate the bread just this morning.

"What am I supposed to do with him until it wears off?" My voice doing no justice in hiding my annoyance.

"You're very pretty Johanna, and so kind." Tobias interrupts. I hold my hand out towards him as an example of what I am talking about.