Hating Arlo (4)

Without You by Usher and David Guetta

Are you ready to get into the head of our male protagonist?

Please tell me what you think of him.

Her name is Lily

Her name is Lily.

And she's my mate.

I knew I would meet my mate one day. The girl who I was supposed to fall head over heels for. Whilst I knew this, I never once accepted it. Especially since I was already head over heels for Talia, my brother's mate.

I met Talia when I was ten. I knew her before my brother did and fell in love with her before him. But that meant nothing as soon as Talia met him. They both knew instantly that they were made for each other.

It crushed my heart.

Ever since then, I have been watching them together, from the sidelines. I've watched Talia laugh and cry at Arden. Every day, I see her eyes light up when Arden steps in.

Her eyes never do that for me.

But I don't care. Whilst Talia is clueless about my feelings for her, I know that she is still my world. Talia is incredibly beautiful, inside and out. She holds my heart in a steel iron prison, keeping it locked away from everyone else.

Nobody will ever have my heart.

Not even my mate.

Sure, she is pretty. I'll give her that. She probably has a good heart but I don't want her. I will never want her.

She isn't my Talia. My little goddess.

Lily can't hold a candle to Talia. Talia has a blanket of warmth around her that comforts everyone who is around her. She is the purest person I've ever met.

Once again, I could feel Lily's eyes on me. Due to the mate bond, my heart skips a beat and my stomach erupts with butterflies. But it's not real--my feelings for Lily aren't the same. Talia makes me feel these things, it's not a biological thing like it is with Lily.

It's all part of the mate bond. I remind myself. Lily is only making these emotion stir in me because of the Moon Goddess. She was the one who did this.

I should reject her. I think, causing my wolf to growl at me. He wants our mate but I don't. Since I always have control, he will never get the chance to have her. He doesn't understand my feelings for Talia, never has. Sure, I will never be able to call her mine, have her in my arms or kiss her but I will always love her.

It would be unfair to Lily too. She would be mated to someone who was in love with someone else.

That's why it's best we are never together. Rejection is a horrible process and I don't really want to put myself or Lily through it. She doesn't deserve the emptiness in the pit of her stomach for the rest of her life.