Chapter 4

In an instant Link had his sword to the newcomer's throat, gripping his blue shirt by the collar. Around him he heard the ring of more swords being drawn and the creak of the wild boy's bow drawing back. The newcomer's face drained, gulping against the cool steel pressed to his neck.

"Whoa, I- What?" the boy stammered, raising his hands hesitantly.

"Where did you learn that name?" Link growled.

The boy's eyebrows raised in genuine-looking surprise. "I, u-um, it's mine?"

Link was certain at this point one of the other men was going to step in, tell him to calm down, suggest he put down his weapon – he could feel the tense eyes on him all around. So much for building trust. He glanced at the wild boy, his bow taught and eyes focused. Focused on his mark. Focused on... the boy?

Link pushed that mystery to the back of his mind, gripping the boy's tunic tighter. He'd been so careful. How had he missed the signs? Waking up in the forest, meeting so many strangers determined to stick with him... this had all the marks of The Prince of Darkness. Idiot! You've walked right into a trap!

He grit his teeth. "That can't be your name. Where did you hear it?!"

"I-I swear to Nayru I have no idea what you're talking about!" the boy sputtered. "It's just my name! Honest!"

"It can't be your name, because it's mine!" Link shouted. The boy's mouth fell open in shock.

"Wait, what?"

The question didn't come from the boy. Link looked over his shoulder at the fur-clad man. His clenched jaw softened at seeing the other man's expression.

"Link. That's my name. That... is what you said, right?"

Link nodded slowly. Suddenly an arrow whizzed past his pointed ear and embedded itself in the other man's shield. He whipped his head around to the boy in blue, who already had another arrow knocked and drawn.

"What sort of Yiga tactic is this?" the boy snarled, "Is using my name supposed to lower my guard? Catch me unprepared? Calling yourself Link gives you away, traitors!"

"Traitor?!" the man with the scarf fumed. From his collar he removed a ring on a chain around his neck; the ring bore an intricate crest. "You are the traitor, for impersonating me, Link, Captain of the Royal Guard!"

The man in red lifted his sword to the blond man's neck, resting the point under his chin. "The same Royal Guard who declared me, Link, a felon, and aided in the coup against the king?"

With a clang and a flash, the man in red's sword flew into the air, spinning before landing in the hand of the eldest man. He pointed the sword to the fur-clad man and raised his own claymore to Link and the newcomer, glaring intently at the boy in blue. The boy turned his aim to the man nervously.

"Don't try it!" the hardened man barked. Link glanced back and forth between the two, both staring daggers. Eventually the boy in blue ceded, lowering his bow. Link pushed the newcomer away and dropped his sword, the fur-clad man following suit.

"Much better," the one-eyed man muttered. He didn't lower his swords. "Now, am I to assume both of you young men are also called Link?"

The man in white and headbanded boy – the only two who had not yet spoken – nodded slowly.

"As am I," the man stated. Eyes widened further as the man lowered his swords. The wolf-pelted boy in particular looked especially shocked. "It would seem to reason, then, that this is no coincidence."