Chapter 5

The morning air was crisp and cool, frost glistening on every surface. Though the sky was still dark and the forest almost black, Link – now called Courage – knew the sun was up and simply hidden by the mountains to the east. It would be at least another hour before the sky lit up, and another hour beyond that for the light to penetrate the towering trees. Still, their party needed to set out.

The night before had been an interesting one, to say the least. Setting aside the strange revelation that he now traveled with eight other variations of himself, the discussion on why they were brought together, how they ended up here, and what exactly was happening was plenty for his mind to chew on. Despite all their theories, they had only been able to determine one thing: someone must be in danger, and a lot of it. The rest, Time had said, they couldn't figure out without more information. It was agreed they would head to Castle Town – hopefully to speak with the Royal Family – and that they would break camp as early as possible the next morning.

Courage took another breath, enjoying the near-silence of the sleeping woods for a moment longer. I'll have to wake them. We can't afford to wait for true daylight. He stood and looked to the fire where Light sat. They had kept it going for the sake of their islander, who couldn't manage to keep warm without it. Wind was curled up in three borrowed blankets not a foot from the firepit and still shivering. Courage had done plenty of travel and was very used to acclimatizing quickly, but to live your whole life on a warm, tropical ocean and then be dropped in the middle of a pine forest at the start of winter? That would test even his abilities.

"It's time, then?" Light asked softly.

"From the looks of it," Courage replied, then gestured to the quivering bundle, "Wake him last, though. I doubt he's had enough rest in this cold."

Light nodded and stood, making his way to the next-closest bedroll. Courage knelt next to Wild and put a hand to his sword before nudging the man gently.

Just as he expected, Wild jolted awake and drew his sword halfway before realizing who was there. Courage smiled. I suppose we all have that in common. He motioned for Wild to sheath his sword and to try to stay quiet, nodding his head in the direction of Wind. Wild nodded in return, calming his pant and setting to preparing breakfast.

The others awoke in a similar way. Most started to draw swords and rose with a burst of adrenaline. Light almost had an ear taken off when he nudged Twilight, for which Twilight apologized profusely. Courage approached Legend with that reaction in mind, but to his surprise Legend didn't stir after a first, second, or third nudge. It wasn't until Wild sprinkled some pine needles over his face that the man showed signs of life, and those signs were... quite unenthusiastic.

Once Legend was awake and no longer on the verge of violence, they set to breaking camp. Light and Courage were already fully equipped, having been on watch, and most of the others only had to strap on their weapons. Time and Warriors, however, had opted not to sleep in their armor. The time it took Warriors to don his pauldron and Time his plated cuirass allowed for Wild to roast some of the frozen boar, which, when Wind awoke, he found he desperately needed.

"I c-can't believe how w-well this is warming me up," he chattered from inside his blanket cocoon.

"Pink safflina does that," Wild stated through a mouthful, "as do sunshrooms, if you cook them. Handy in a pinch."

"These will help, too." Light held out a pair of boots. Wind dropped his breakfast and shoved them onto his feet.

"Ohhhh man that's so much better," he sighed, flopping back on the forest floor.

"I'll need them back eventually," Light intoned. "You can probably get your own when we get to Lehara."

At that Wind heaved himself back into a sitting position, shoved the rest of the boar steak into his mouth, and leapt to his feet. "Weshl ngu bem!" In one motion he had his gear off the ground and on his back, and without another word was headed down the road. The other Links exchanged surprised looks and hastened to get going themselves. Courage quickly rolled up the abandoned blanket nest and stowed it in his enchanted pouch, jogging to catch up with his lobster-shirted friend.